Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could really turn into a juicy post, however I'm trying to decide if I really need to install the 5th strap to my seat harness. What kind of events require use of the middle strap?
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
Any accidents that force your body to compress quickly (into a barrier, ditch etc) can cause your body to submarine (i.e. your body may slide along the seat, under the hip belt and therefore compressing someaht against the floor, dash etc.
Although 4154 is not yet on the road, I do plan on using my 5 strap when on the track etc., but may not use it for everyday driving.

jim

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
OK so I screwed up my car numbers, I know what they are ... but my two fingers that type, did not! (4541, not 4154 ...where the hell did that # come from???...thank god it is friday).
Jim

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
I have both the subs in my car already and plan on using them any time I'm in the car. It's a requirement for passengers also!

The good / bad thing is, with the stock seats, They're not completely in the perfect spot (they should head straight down through the seat pad) and because of that, actually never touches your 'special area'...

-R

·
FFCobra Fanatic
388 Posts
What about the fact that you can say you have a 5-point safety harness system? The more straps the better; every time you get in the car it makes you think about how your in such an awesome, badass machine that you have to be strapped to it with five belts so that you dont go flying out. Those things are half the reason im building this thing! Yee haw!

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
When you're at a stoplight and you sneeze, your foot blips the throtle and the car starts to buck out of control....thats a real good time for the 5th strap.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I believe they are called anti-submarine belts because they keep you from going under the dash and doing unnatural things with your legs and such when your vehicle comes to a sudden stop from any speed, say over 30 mph.

I won't probably use mine unless autocrossing or racing or something. I think it might be a little overkill for a cruise.

You gots to ask yourself do you fell lucky? :D

·
Feng Shui Master
1,224 Posts
Some of those spry whippersnappers here in TEAXAZ wear those pie pan belt buckels to control what needs to be restrained with Pam Anderson.
Ok, Ok it can be a much smaller belt buckle to accomplish the same thing.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
7,097 Posts
I was told the true reason for teh fifth belt is to keep the main lap belts from riding up thsu keeping them in their proper position in an accident...over the hip. When you cicnh the shoulder harness the lap belt has a tendency to ride high and can do more damage to the body.

As for Pamela Anderson...that's only a rumor about High School..She actually has a GED..she sat in the last seat and I sat in the one behind her!

·
Charter Member
1,328 Posts
I could'nt really see a good frame attachment point for the ASB, so I just bolted it to the seat mounting plate which is in turn bolted to the frame in 5 different spots, ya'll think that'll be OK?

·
15,282 Posts
Mike's mostly right. The belt will keep you from winding up smash underneath the dashboard, your whole body in the tiny footbox. But really, the anti-sub belt helps most by keeping the other belts positioned properly on your body. Otherwise, the rest of those suckers can do some serious soft-tissue and internal-organ damage in a hard impact. There must be a thousand posts about that...search around.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
366 Posts
The frames were not set up for properly anchoring the sub belt and I don't know about the Mark III. I wrote a post on retrofitting them in a completed car http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042035
but the same instructions could apply at any stage of construction as it gives a pretty substantial mount and tilts the seat at the same time.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
Bob, anything beyond the garage....I use it.
Helps keep the belt down in place.

Not easy to adjust them way under the seat, so I use a "screw on chain link" to give another inch of play for others when they slide the seat up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.