Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 90' donor that had a low milage replaced engine. When I bought a set of replacement plugs,
I discovered that had a diff set of heads. I then
found out that I had the old 302 firing order..
I never opened th eng up, so I have no idea what
is inside.

Eng runs exc and feels fast to me.. Breaks
up at about 6200 RPM according to the donor
rpm guage.

The number on the block behind the intake
manifold is KX159150 and the only numbers
I could find on the ECU housing is

EECIV SFI-MA12

E9Zf-12a650-a2a

Any ideas are appreciated..

·
What Country You From?
463 Posts
The ECU was manufactured in 89 - sounds right for a '90 car.

Take a look from beneath the engine toward where the oil filter is - on the opposite side there should be a block casting around there somewhere.

Also, if you take off the valve covers, there should be castings on the heads.

Those would be helpful. Pictures are always noce, also.

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
Originally posted by Dan B:
I bought a 90' donor that had a low milage replaced engine. When I bought a set of replacement plugs,
I discovered that had a diff set of heads. I then
found out that I had the old 302 firing order..
I never opened th eng up, so I have no idea what
is inside.

Eng runs exc and feels fast to me.. Breaks
up at about 6200 RPM according to the donor
rpm guage.

The number on the block behind the intake
manifold is KX159150 and the only numbers
I could find on the ECU housing is

EECIV SFI-MA12

E9Zf-12a650-a2a

Any ideas are appreciated..
You need the casting numbers, you looked at the serial number. The casting number is under the intake. Breaking up at 6200 is correct as the factory rev limiter is there.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
If it has the old 302 firing order it is an old 302 . I'm guessing its a Tbird , Crown vic or truck engine. The breaking up at 6200 is the Factory rev limiter. It's probably a cast piston , hydraulic roller motor Which means you can use all the Ford hydraulic Roller cams . Heads and intakes can be swapped and you can change the firing order at the distributor so the hp cams will work. The disadvantage is the cast pistons .They will eventually fail , quickly if you intend to get 9million horsepower like the rest of us. Bob

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Help me here, but I thought that the if you changed the cam to the old firing order you could just flop the wires to the firing order of the cam. Nothing specific to block or heads as far as the firing order.. So ... lots of guessing could help or it could lead you down strange paths.

If it runs well, is fast enough for you at the moment... leave it alone
Why to it apart to figure it out until it is broken? Or you plan to do some serious upgrades.

·
8,356 Posts
Isn't firing order solely controlled by the cam?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,600 Posts
If the cam was changed to the old 302 order, then the injector sequence would be off on a couple of cylinders. Unless the injector wiring was redone.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
True it should not run unless they changed out the computer as well. We had an 88 Tbird we put an HO motor in with an e303 cam. I would not run with the stock computer we had to use a mustang ho computer and mass air. and then we switched the wires on the cap. Bob

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Originally posted by Dale:
Isn't firing order solely controlled by the cam?
The firing order is not completely controlled by the camshaft. Rather, the camshaft requires a specific firing sequence in order to work properly. The camshaft does control the speed and direction of the firing order, but not the order its self. The actual firing order is controled by human hands by actually placing each plug wire on the correct terminals. Because the camshaft controls all valve opening and closing events, the camshaft will require specific firing order to keep the engine running correctly.

-dan

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Right -
cam and carb - adjust the plug wires

cam and computer - adjust ALL the wires :rolleyes:

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,040 Posts
The K in the VIN you posted is from 1989. The X is the code for St. Thomas Ass. plant and they built Crown Vics and Grand Marquis cars. These use a non-HO 302. there are many differences from a HO to a non-HO. You can use this motor. It has a roller non-HO cam (302 firing order) and cast pistons for starters. The HO uses a 351 roller cam (351 Firing Order). The heads, intake,and distribtor is also different.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! So this is likely a Crown Vic
or marquis. If I recall, this is rated
at 190 hp :( ... Still feels quick to
me and runs exc..

So HO does not have cast pistons?

Anyone else using this set up?

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Originally posted by Dan B:
So HO does not have cast pistons?
You are correct, the HO motors depending on year either have forged or Hyperutectic pistons. If my memory serves me correctly 87 through 91 are forged and 92 through 95 are Hypers.

-dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts