Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of starting a coupe, just wanting to compare it cost wise to the roadster.

I am just about finished with my roadster, prob built it 2 or 3 times :confused1: so I have already learned a few of the expensive lessons.

· Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
If you set it up like your roadster, it should be close. There are some things that make the Coupe cost more like AC and comfort items. We figure we have about $40k into ours all told. Like always, it depends on what you want...

· Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Minimum of $40K. Not unusual to go as high as $80K.

· Charter Member
3,740 Posts
I'm thinking of starting a coupe, just wanting to compare it cost wise to the roadster.

I am just about finished with my roadster, prob built it 2 or 3 times :confused1: so I have already learned a few of the expensive lessons.
AR-cobra,
The Coupe cost more by thousands of $$$.
That's One of the reasons why there is less of them on the road.
The price difference between the base roadster kit and base coupe kit is $2k, and $1k difference on the complete kits.
Going by paint and body estimates, there's around a $3k difference between doing the roadster and the coupe.
Add in A/C $700 - $1,200, and wipers $500.
That's just the basics without any extra bells and whistles.
$40k would be a starting point for a budget.
But we will be happy to spend more of your money if you want. :w00t:

· FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy,

"What does it cost?"

Some of the guys at work ask the same thing and i always say "If you have to ask, you'll never build one!".

Cost and budget are two words that are NOT in my car vocabulary.

Paul

· Premium Member
8,267 Posts
Well you could certainly spend 80k like Bill says but that's would be an extream build.I think mine is a good example of the high end and I have about 50 k in it not counting my labor of coarse. If you do the work yourself and do not go crazy on the motor 40k would build you a very nice coupe and there are some nice ones out there that spent much less. It helps having built a roadster as well, lees money spent on mistakes! :)

A/C is a must IMHO and I added power steeering and power brakes and a stack system, stainless fueal and brake lines and sway bars. I dod not go crazy on brakes and used the Cobra R's

· Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
What Russ said.

We did almost all of the work on ours accept the carpet and spraying the paint.

If you do most of the work, it's really not that much more. Unless you make it that way.

· Junior Charter Member
725 Posts
as far as body work and paint, the coupe is (grey one ) atleast double to the roadster. The new red coupe is so much better in that dept, saving the new buyer a lot of money and grief I think what has already been stated, that 40K would build a fairly nice car, but I feel most coupe owner are looking for more. I believe 50K is most realistic. I have 50K in mine and did a lot of the body work, fitting and paint prep myself with a friend that painted for Ferrari NA as a mentor that guide me step by step and helped many hours and did the final spay etc. We had 400 hours in fitting panels, doors !!!!!, body prep and paint cut and buff. The grey units were rough ( you agree Russ). The blacks were much better and the reds are like a gift from heaven.
Roy

· Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
I had mine street legal for around 28K no body work. I did everything myself and am a little over 30K with a bunch of racing mods and 3 sets of tires and wheels. It can be done for much less than 40k. If you look for some deals you can build it fairly cheap even with A/C.

· Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
as far as body work and paint, the coupe is (grey one ) atleast double to the roadster....
Roy
Possibly. But if you're doing the work it just adds time. Once we got the fit right, the regular body work wasn't that bad. It just takes time...

· Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
How much room compared to the MKIII roadster does the coupe have?

Leg room?
Head room?
A LOT less head room... :)
A little more leg room. The trick is getting into the thing. Once you're in it's actually pretty good for room.

· Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
Yep, I've totted it up several times, added a fudge factor and then rounded up a little and I pretty much keep ending up at the $50-55k mark with all new parts and IRS in my 'plan'.

Of course those who have actually completed builds have a much more valid opinion.

· Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
Mis 20's donor build, used motor, nothing high end, standard FFR/Fox parts mostly, but AC PS PB. Planning on painting it myself. Do not expect it to look like a 50k car, but that's ok with me.

· Registered
954 Posts
I think anybody that quotes mid twenties or $28,000 is extremely misleading for a new builder. The kit is $21,900. You mean to tell me you are going to supply an engine, transmission, rear end (now), battery, wheels and tires, and all of those extras that you discover in the process of the build for the additional $6,100????????? My simple answer, BULL. I'm at almost $50,000 and still have finish body work and painting to go and my build is not extravagant in the engine dept. Realistically AR-Cobra I think $40,000 is a minimum for a decent build and don't let anyone tell you different.

Bill

· Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
I think anybody that quotes mid twenties or $28,000 is extremely misleading for a new builder. The kit is $21,900. You mean to tell me you are going to supply an engine, transmission, rear end (now), battery, wheels and tires, and all of those extras that you discover in the process of the build for the additional $6,100????????? My simple answer, BULL. I'm at almost $50,000 and still have finish body work and painting to go and my build is not extravagant in the engine dept. Realistically AR-Cobra I think $40,000 is a minimum for a decent build and don't let anyone tell you different.

Bill
I am not trying to be misleading, just an alternative to a high end (expensive) project. It can be done for this price, I would not like to think of someone on a tight budget thinking it cannot. I guess it depends upon what you call a "decent build". Mine does not look like a top end build,but my skills are not there either. I still have enjoyed it (mostly). When finished my car will be drive able, look decent and probably be worth something not too far from what I have in it. It really for me is all about the build experience, if not go buy a used Coupe, huge savings over building one. I shop almost every part that goes into it.

Base kit is 15k
My kit is 5 yrs old now, I think was 15k on sale with IRS and Konis, donor was free after selling parts, likewise with Tbird for IRS, used DSSmotor was $1700 but i sold my original 302 for $500, wire diet almost free and very educational, very few new parts, used bellhousing $300, used 3550 tranny $500, stock brakes with upgraded pads, mustang bullitt wheels $400, tires about same, used donor battery for a few years, just replaced with new from Walmart $55, AC was $600, I have only placed 3 orders with Summit, one with Breeze I think. I still wonder how it got to mid twenties as I was hoping low 20's. I did hire Mark Dougherty for 3 days when I got stuck, my one big extravagance, worth every penny.

· Registered
3,666 Posts
I agree that you can build the car for less then $30K, BUT you need to see what you want the car to be when you are done. Everything above stock adds $$ and not using donor parts does to.
I also used a donor and sold the other parts I did not need for more then I bought the car for.
If you already think you are going to be in the $50K range you obviously are not shooting for a base build.

JD

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.