Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering what tools/items you either have in your trunk or WISH you had in your trunk that have come in handy!

I am trying to put together an "emergency" kit to try to be able to fix as many problems as possible. Obviously I can't take everything with me, but I wonder if there are some real obvious things that people have found useful.

As of now I have a basic toolkit, a funnel, a spare quart of oil and a spare clutch cable.

I am highly considering a tarp that I can throw over the car in case I get stuck in some unexpected rain...

Any other suggestions?

-Michael

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
I only carried my AAA card.

·
Banned
2,213 Posts
Chair, tools, fix-a-flat, sweatshirt, hats, groceries, toys, jumper cables, soft top,...basically the same stuff I carry in my other cars, AAA card, flashlight, batteries, etc, etc. Keep in mind it's just a car.

·
Not a waxer
12,098 Posts

I've got all kinds of crap packed in the trunk! There is a cheapo socket set in the hard plastic box on the bottom. The red/black soft tool bag has a full set of combination wrenches, assorted screwdrivers, pliers, strippers, crimpers, allen wrenches, a digital VOM and test light as well as fuses, zip ties, crimp connectors and some wire. Most importantly is a copy of my wiring schematic and EEC-IV codes. Also shoved in there is a TFI module, TPS sensor, coil and a couple of long plug wires. There is a set of jumper cables behind the bag and the whole mess is strapped to the upper floor. That round green top is a container of wet wipes wrapped up in a towel.

More than necessary? Yeah, probably. The only thing that has been needed on my car in almost 14,000 miles (knock on wood!) was an allen wrench to tighten up a windwing bracket that came loose on the way home from LCS two or three years ago. Tools and even some of my spare parts have been used on others though.

Worst case---I've got a truck & trailer at home and a best buddy who knows where the keys are!

Not shown in the photo but always there is my waterproof car cover. Usually I drive through the rain but there has been occassion where the downpour was so heavy that I've pulled onto a side road, put the cover on the car then got back in and waited it out in my 4 wheeled tent!

Jeff

·
Registered
789 Posts
So far just my battery! I was thinking of a few things like clutch and throttle cables.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ive got also put a dead blow hammer for the spinners, a spare belt (mine randomly fell off ten miles from home), and a spare MSD ignition coil (hasn't failed yet, but read about it).
A tow card is fine, but if it's an easy fix, I'd rather do just fix it. Everything stows in a little bag. My car cover stuffs in another bag, I still have plenty of room in the trunk.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,689 Posts
I have a space saver spare tire, a tarp, a couple of towels, paper towels, jacket and hat and all the tools that I can carry in my add-a-trunk box that I build above the fuel tank. I also carry a tire pump, an extra clutch cable and an extra accelerator cable (based on experience). So far I never had to use much of this but it makes me feel better. When weather looks shaky, I carry the convertible top and side curtains.

·
"The" FFR Master
3,166 Posts
Sunshade tent NEW Texsport Calypso Cabana Beach Shelter Sun Shade Canopy Tent *QUICK SHIPPING* on eBay!
2 folding chairs
sun umbrella
Snap on tool bag and tool kit with a flat repair kit IS F SPORT Equipment: Lexus Performance Parts and Accessories - Flat Tire Repair Kit
misc cleaning supplies
backpack with clothes jacket and other misc stuff
battery
blanket
California duster and water blade
Small cooler
camera bag
couple hats
roll of shop towels
Oh yeah I have a challenge car and no roll bars in the trunk I still have more room also.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,836 Posts
Flashlight, alt. belt, clutch cable, ponchos, thick film module and multitool. I tried to carry the parts most likly to fail and that me or a mechanic could use to get me back on the road if I was away from home. Plan to get an instant flat repair kit soon.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
my McGiver knife:001_tongue:don't go anywhere without a knife.
will do any wrenching on a SBF

just put together a small roadbox yesterday.
blue paper towels
wrenches that fit fuel fittings,and any bungs on block,specific allen wrenches,a multi tip screwdriver, 2 good flashlights (little ones),breakin bar for lugbolts,small socket set, adjustable wrench,vice grip,channel locks, zip ties,electrical tape,butt splices, some 500-mile -an-hour- tape,small tube of rtv, toe-strap.

triple A card.

·
iBuild
5,740 Posts
Right now I just have a green slime tire kit, with a small air compressor, and a quart of oil. I need to get a spare coil, and one of these days plan to make up an MSD bypass circuit so if the ignition box goes out I can get home without calling a tow truck.

-Scott

·
Junior Charter Member
1,637 Posts
Don't forget the duct tape and .032 safety wire.
Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.