Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charter Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I'll just do the swap right when I first mount the pipes on this build.

Can anyone give a testamony as to the sound of them on their car?

·
Caress of Steel
2,180 Posts
I will be able to in about an hour. Shop's welding them on as I type.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
When I first started driving my car with the stock FFR sidepipe/j-pipe system I thought it was way too loud so I installed the 24" lobaks. It's still loud! I honestly couldn't tell that much difference between the new stock units and the lobak. I guess the advantage is that the lobak doesn't get louder with age. I've gotten used to it now and like it!

·
Caress of Steel
2,180 Posts
Still loud and obnoxious, just not as ear-splitting loud as the FFR glasspacks, which were almost painful, new. On a loudness scale from 1 to 10, with 10 loudest, straight headers with no pipes were 10, the FFR glasspacks were 9, and the 20" Lobaks I had installed are 8.

The sound is also still sharper than I thought it would be, not the deep rumble some have described. Maybe with the longer ones it would quiet things a little more. I did go-cart around the block with them on, and it put an even bigger s***-eatin' grin on my face. They do sound sweet as the revs climb!

Your average everyday Mustang with Flowmaster or Mac mufflers would be a very boomy 6.5. Stock Mustang a 5. My Maxima with stock exhaust would be 3.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Just a little more information to add to the discussion.

I recently tested my FFR sidepipes for the first time. Go-karting was with just headers and CATs.
I could hear that they were different while sitting in the car.

My wife and daughter both said that it was much nicer sound - not as loud and not as harsh.
Headers - 10
CATS - 9
CATS and side pipes 8 (nice and maybe neighborly enough)

Object of this note: make sure you compare sound when you have moved out of the driver's seat and away from the car a little bit.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Jeff,
I think you'll have to do more than just the Lobaks to reduce the sound a whole bunch. I think ceramic coating will help, as will some sort of collector insert in addition to the lobaks.

Hey Joe ( sorry couldn't help it - Hendrix fan )
Nice job on your roller so far and nice website too.

If you think it's loud now, you should try a set of 4x4 headers and side pipes. I just switched from J-s and shorties to the long tubes and 4 into 4s. I really like it, but I'm sure there's plenty of people around me that don't share my enthusiasm when I'm driving.

Once you get the car done, you'll find it's pretty tolerable as long as you are in the right gear at the right rpm. When you wind it up or lay into it though, people will be able to hear you from literaly a mile away. That includes the local Pole-eese. Just keep it in mind when you're out tuning your Windsor Sr. headed 302 with that honkin 750 on top.

I noticed you listed an 01 Maxima. We're looking at an 02 today as our next car. Have you put any mods on it? I'll have a cold air kit on ours within a week of putting plates on it.

·
Caress of Steel
2,180 Posts
Thanks!

I do have the 4-into-4's on, and it's a 395W. It moves a lot of air!

No mods on our Maxima yet...gotta wait for the warranty to run out before I start tweaking it. (and all the mod money is taken for the next few years!) Got the last one with a 5-speed on the lot a few years back. I was kinda bummed, though, when they switched to the 3.5L for '02.

·
Caress of Steel
2,180 Posts
It sounds a little different now that things are in a little bit better tune...It's started to get less sharp and more rumbly-boomy as others have described. I LIKE it!

·
Caress of Steel
2,180 Posts
Probably 7.8 now, and you could get a little quieter if you go with the 24" Lobaks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts