Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Charter Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know, let the pipes cool off before you put the car cover on....
Heres the situation. My polypropylene car cover by CoveRite melted onto my ceramic side pipes. Its a nice color blue, but in an embarassing visible location. The poly isn't burnt on and I have not run the engine for fear of bonding it to the pipes for good. I can pick away some areas with my fingernails but most of it is firmly adherent. I do not want to scratch the ceramic surface with any sort of scraper. Although I tried a plastic bondo paddle. CoverRite cannot tell me what will dissolve the melted poly.
So far I have tried: Coleman fuel, brake cleaner spray, antifreeze, paint stripper, liquid carburetor cleaner, and PVC cleaner.
Any ideas ?
Paul.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
Paul, check out the last chart on this page

It looks like good old gasoline or something with toluene in it might do the trick.

Be careful and HTH

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I've had the best luck by running the crap out of the car which gets the pipes hot enough to cook the plastic goo into almost a powder. Most of it should scrap off w/ an old credit card. The rest can be polished away with some aluminum polish.

·
15,282 Posts
Wow, brake cleaner didn't get you anywhere?! That and biodiesel are the only two things I've found that will dissolve the two-stage epoxy sealer I have on my garage floor. Might try to find a little B100 and just give it a whirl. Otherwise, as Wade mentioned, just cook it. I did that with some regular old plastic on mine -- I think it was a heavy trash bag that blew onto the pipes while driving or something.

Cheers, John

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
Maybe go the other way-- Dry Ice. Make it brittle and remove chip off with something that will not mess your pipes up.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
I melted a shoelace on a new chrome pipe and was devastated. :mad: We heated the pipe up and it wiped right off!!!

·
Charter Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info gentlemen. Tim's link to a plastic page ics cool and reads like the who's who of toxic waste and I 'm gonna try the acetone first becus it's easy to get.
Then the trichlorethylene , toluene, ether or chloroform would be next if I can locate 'em.
If not, I'll just cook it off like a'la Wade.
Paul

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
One other thing that has worked remarkably well cleaning all kinds of things off, laquer thinner.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Get the pipes hot again. Hot enough to remelt the plastic then remove what you can with a wooden paint stir stick. After you get off all you can with pipes still hot use a damp wrag and make quick wipes to try and remove the remainder of depris. Bu this time very little if any should be left on pipes. What is left can be removed with Mothers semi chrome polish.
Pipes must be hot enough to remelt or it can't be removed like when pipes are cold.
I removed everthing from timing light wires that melted to header all the way to plastic bag on pipes this way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wooden paint stick or wooden spoon ground to fit the curve of the pipe.Make sure the wife isnt in the kitchen when you take it.

·
Charter Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was away for a while but those of you who said "cook it off" were right.
I started the motor and waited until the polypropylene started to melt and then just quickly wiped it off with a dry towel. Got 99 % of it off. You guys are great. But you know that...Thanks for the responses

·
Building Something
367 Posts
Paul do the same thing that got you into the situation, heat! get a propane tourch like for pluming work and heat the poly, it will turn brittle and flake off. Just dont get near your pain or else and dont heat too fast, just sweet the flame back and forth, this helped on some other pipes Ive had in the past, but I have never had to do with ceramic.
HTH Mike in NC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts