Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, you said using a 89 Ford Crown Vic water pump will work. It appears to be working BUT I'm overheating! Im using a 6" pully off the old Lincoln motor and want to try a 5". It has a smaller (1 1/2") bolt pattern. than a Mustang.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated, as I'm ready for longer trips than "around the block" thanks, Dick

·
Charter Member
1,512 Posts
I used a crown vic water pump. And took the mustang pulley and just enlarged the holes. Mines doesn`t run hot at all. hope this helps

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,835 Posts
Same as countryboy, no problems.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Correct water pump, air bubbles, Moroso T Filler, bad rad cap, T-stat in backwards etc ?

Need a little more system info.

Hopefully its something simple!

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll consider the enlargement idea but I was worried about alignment and balance issues with enlarged holes.

Yes, I'm running the Moroso t filler got the t stat in correctly... Radcaps seem operational. Yesterday when going around the block it wanted to run hot unless I nailed the g pedal then I could see the temp drop which is leading me to believe I'm not pushing enough water thru with a 6 inch pully. My 92 'stang has a 5 inch and no heat problems...

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Second thought, I added a 1/2" line to the overflow on the Moroso and ran it to the bottom of the Mustang overflow tank. Is that correct or should I have blocked off the Moroso stub???

·
Registered
158 Posts
You have air in the engine in the cooling system. I had the exact problem with my Crown Vic. Temp sensor goes hot in the air and cools very rapidly when coolant flows over it under acceleration. I'd be suprised if that's not your problem.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I second that suggestion - air in the system is almost certainly the problem. I would wait for the motor to cool, remove the large pipe plug in the heater hose connection at the top of the intake manifold and fill with coolant. Reinstall the plug, fill the overflow tank about half way with coolant, and heat cycle the engine a few times.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
You can search the forum about the Moroso Filler.

Probably more people than not have had a problem with it. The caps wont seal, kind of like the caps are too short in the housing.

Running the overflow hose that way should work if the T filler is working right.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
For giggles run a compression test. My over heating problem turned out to be a blown head gasket.Roger

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the fact that I'm running a 6" wp pully may not be my problem??????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts