Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only driven my car around the block 3-4 times and it seams that the temp gauge is pegging... 250... the motor seems fine.. no smoke what so ever.. i just filled it up with water and cranked it up and waited for the thermostat to open up so i could add some more... it opened , i added.. till it quit needing water..had the heater on so it would fill the heater. rode around the block and bam 250....what could it be.. :(

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
what water pump are you running? standard rotation or a reverse roation? is your fan on? do you have an inline filler or are you filling it thru the stock rad, if so you have an air pocket and you need to burp it. next feel the temp of your rad top mid and bottom.....mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would bet you have a air pocket of some sort, open you radiator top when filling fluid once it pours out the mouth close the cap and then pull a heater house or a plug in manifold (if running carb) then keep filling till the you have water puking out the top (location of breeze water fill port) then you should be golden

If motor still runs hot you may have some sort of junk stuck somewhere???

Good luck

·
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the inline filler... stock water pump, but i have it rotating in the right direction...... how much extra water will the rad. hold after you burp it...can't imagin it holding that much more

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,034 Posts
It takes several warm up and cool downs to get the air out. The other thing that could be a problem is the head gaskets could be backwards. Hope it is just air in the system.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mechanical or electric gauge? If you're sure that the engine is "burped" and you still have the problem I'd sure be checking the instrumentation. In fact, I might check it first. In your initial post, there were no symptoms of overheating except the gauge reading. Retarded timing(late) can cause overheating.

·
mk 1.5 original
562 Posts
an easy way to check the gauge accuracy is with a infared/laser thermometer at the t.stat housing or by the sender.it is also helpful with diagnosing flow problems. chris

·
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BURPING UPDATE!!!
o.k. I opened both fillers and filled it up till it ran out the radiator. cranked motor untill warm and filled some more..closed everything up.. drove it around the block a couple times and the temp is now at about 210-220... still a little high i think.. but i am on straight water.. Next i am gonna drain the radiator and put in anit-freeze amd burp the hell out of it and see what happens.. i think the burping is in the right direction..

·
6,546 Posts
Don't run straight anti-freeze!!! :eek:

You should be able to sort out all the cooling problems with just water.

·
6,546 Posts
Al:

Anti-Freeze won't help your cooling issue other than to make it:

A.) Stinkier.. ;)
B.) Messier
C.) Deadly to small animals
D.) Won't Freeze

If there is no more air in the system I would look at the thermostat first.

·
Senior Charter Member
393 Posts
Before messing around with coolant, I would stick with straight water and:
<List>
<LI>Suggest pulling the thermostat completely (Just for the test/diagnostic phase.)
<LI>Check temps during your same "round the block" drives
<LI>Test the thermostat in a pan of hot water with a simple kitchen thermometer
<LI>Verify that the thermostat is oriented correctly when you reinstall it ;)
</List>

Good luck!

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: CobRat ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts