Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a 302 with alum heads with around 350 or so HP. Should I get a Holley Avenger or Double Pumper w/ mechanical secondaries?

stack

·
Super Moderator
29,466 Posts
A Holley 650 should work, but the mechnical secondaries may casue the car to bog. Lots of gas gets dumped into the engine. Vacuum secondaries would give better performance with your motor.

-Keith

[ June 04, 2002, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: 2FAST4U ]

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Have you looked at Demon Carbs yet? They have a road demon with vacume secondaries and an electric choke for around 300. I just got one and it is beautiful. It has 4 corner idle adjustment whick is only found on 500 dollar holleys and from the manual, I think it will be easy to adjust.
www.barrygrant.com
or maybe www.demoncarbs.com

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Stack

I've had both...a 650 double w/mechanical secondaries

Now running a 670 Street avanger.

I prefer the avenger.

But that being said...the 650 was used and had the secondary power valve plugged. Had lot's of problems with it. When it was working it was great. The avenger is also great. Slightly better fuel mileage...As though we build these things with that in mind.

Just my opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My road demonis rich I might as well have the fuel line dumping straight into the intake. If you don't want a major project on your hands don't
get a berry grant carb.
jack

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree with Jack that if you want a plug and play carb a BG is probably not the right choice but when (or if) you get it set up properly it is unbeatable. IMHO

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Over the past three weeks I have tried a 650 BG, a 650 Demon and a 750 Demon. All problems solved after I put on a 670 Avenger last night!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
Mark,

Get the 670 Avenger, you won't be sorry.

Olli

P.S. I use the yellow(light) spring for the secondaries

·
3,701 Posts
I'm very happy with my 670 Street Avenger on my 351W. Only required some slight jet changes to get the air/fuel mixture right. The "expert" who dyno'd my car said it lacks some adjustability of the more expensive carbs, but it is fine for what I want it for

·
Charter Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went out and bought the avenger 670 last night. I got it isnatlled with the yellow secondary spring, and after a little adjusting the the car fired right up. I can fell the secondaries opening around 3500 - 4000 rpm. On the first test drive the car didn't seem as smooth while driving at a constant rpm. Another problem that I encountered was the idle jumped up to 2000 rpm after i was driving. I would put my foot on the clutch and the rpm was at 2000 I kicked it down and it would idle at 1000 or so untill my next blast down the road when it would do it again.

What air cleaner are you guys using? I have the oval cobra air cleaner from FMS and with out a carb spacer the car will not run. The air cleaner is almoust resting on top of the distributer, and I think it was grounding out the ignition. With the spacer it runs. The problem is I don't think that the carb is getting enough air with the 1" air cleaner. The choke butterfly almost hits the the air cleaner cover and there is only about an 1/8" of clearance. A 2" will not clear the area behind the hood.

Any ideas?

stack

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
I'm using a 14 inch round air cleaner. 2.5 inch K&N filter. No interference problems.

Check to see if your linkage is binding? I had the same problem and found the accelerator cable binding. Freed it up and no more problems.

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Anybody have any feedback about "Biggs" carbs?

·
3,701 Posts
I also have the FMS Cobra air cleaner. Did you remember to hook up the electric choke?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I have a 600DP holly on mine. Bought the percy's plates so I don't have to take the bowls off to change the main metering. Works great for me. I started with the car in Denver at 7000 feet and now live at 800 feet. The plates make main jet changes a snap. I have a rich/lean indicator to help with the right setting. Running the 320 crate motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts