Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the euphoria of the first start today, I'm are getting to the next level of debugging.
While I was setting the timing, the engine finally got warm enough to put some pressure in the cooling system. As soon as the pressure got high enough to pop through the cap, it started spewing water from the top of the filler cap instead of going into my overflow tank.

Here's the set-up
Forte degass tank with 16# cap.
Sealed tri-state radiator.
Hose from from degass overflow to bottom of the overflow tank.
Hose from top of overflow tank to open air.
There's only one cap on the system and it's on the degass tank.

There are two seals on a vented radiator cap. One is inside to hold pressure on the system and one is outside to direct the water released from the radiator to the overflow tank. It seems that the outer seal on my cap doesn't seal tight. It just lets the pressure overflow leak out.

What is the right cap to put on the Forte's degass tank? I didn't give it much thought. I just bought one that looked like it fit.

Pete

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
I would use a stock 95 down Mustang cap with like 16lbs. The Stant Lever-Cap is a nice part so you can release pressure and be safe.
Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I got the right cap. All OK.
Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.