Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expecting to finish the donor teardown over the July 4th weekend. What exactly can and can't I sandblast before painting? Some things are obviously OK like rear drums, lower A arms, and miscellaneous brackets. What about the rear axle, transmission, and gas tank? And what are the pieces I should get sandblasted that I'll probably forget?

·
6,546 Posts
Just tape 'em up and plug any holes and you'll be fine. Oh, and wear breathing protection or a full hood, you don't want that oil and crap on the parts in your lungs.

You'll find that the 8.8 will look brand spankin' new after you sandblast it and rattle can detail it. That's more treatment than ford ever gave them.

Personally I wouldn't sandblast the gas tank, I'm sure people have. It goes under the plastic anyways.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THNX. Naperville?!?!? My company's HQ is in Aurora and I spend 3-5 days there and in Naperville each month.

·
1,018 Posts
You can pretty much sandblast most everything. As Ozono says make sure you plug all holes real good. I blasted and POR15 my gas tank and it turned out real nice, but again, as Ozono states you can't see it once the car is complete. More than anything, I would spend the time making sure the cover looks pretty cause that's what's visible. If you do blast it just insure all openings are sealed tight so no sand gets into the tank. Quite a chore to completely flush the tank of sand. I ended up dropping some of the larger stuff off, like the rear end, at a sandbaster guy in Grafton. He used a very high pressure blast to make the rear look like new. Unfortunately, as I found out later during my gear change, he blew out the side bearing seals. Had to completely flush out the rear and replace all seals & bearings. Not sure what kind of blaster you're using but keep this in mind. I would also stay away from blasting the engine for fear of getting contaminates inside some how.

If you ever need a hand w/ anything feel free to give me a buzz.

Doug

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you mentioned the sandblaster in Elyria when we were at Dale's. Got a number? I'm talking to Atom Blasting (who's close by) and want to see who's got the better price.

And I will call when I need help.

·
1,018 Posts
I used Banks Mfg Co., 40259 Banks Rd, Grafton, OH
440-458-8661

They did my drive shaft, spindles, front brake calipers, rear end, & coil springs for $75. Could have gotten better price if I brought them all my stuff together at the same time. The rest of the parts I did either on my front lawn or in my home made booth using a inexpensive Sears gravity fed bucket blaster. Oh, your more than welcome to use it if you wish.

Doug

[ July 03, 2002, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: d isham ]

·
Charter Member
737 Posts
i had the same question. thanks for the answers.
what about brake rotors? can they be blasted? should i mask the braking surface or leave it alone?
regards

·
1,018 Posts
Mask the rotors if you don't plan on having them turned.

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts