Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wondering this for a while.

People are always talking about if they need reverse lights, windshild wipers, horns ect to pass inspection. Did those come on the original cobras?

I thought we just had to meet what was originally equipped on the vehicle or is it just different because they are considered kit cars? I just can't picture owning an original and having to cut holes in the cowl to add windshield wipers.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
I think it depends on how your state interprets your car. If it is considered new, because you just built it and has to meet new laws, or has to meet the laws of the original it replicates - it varies from state to state.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Original street Cobras had wipers

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Nearly all cars in 64/65 did not come with backup lamps; those were "optional" in the day.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Steet 289 and 427 cars also came with glove boxes. Backup lights were not on them

·
FFR Master Procrastinator
348 Posts
Did they have ignition keys?
I've been thinking to only have a power toggle switch and starter button. Ofcourse I would have a few hidden switches to prevent theft.
What do you guys think?

·
7,134 Posts
Type CSX cobra into Google and then switch to google images and you will see all you want to on original cars

If you are talking about street based cars - they didn't even have roll bars , they also had under car exhausts .

So the question is not specific enough, as there were so many styles of Cobra made.

The FFR is losely based on 427SC ,thus most people here build their cars to emulate in a rough way the 427 SC cars , which were Street racers for want of a better term , they were cars sold to owners for street use but based on the race cars.

In the 60's many race cars were used daily as run abouts and raced in club racing on weekends, many even drove to the track..... I continue that tradition with my track days :D :D if it don't fit in the Cobra - it does not make it to the track.

And some had keys and some did not !!!!!

·
Junior Charter Member
2,473 Posts
Texas inspection rules say if you have a windshield you have to have wipers. I just had to install wipers to pass inspection. They didn't say anything about backup lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.