Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, here is my question. I have a stock 302 with a set of FRP shorty headers and a dual quad air gap manifold with 2 500cfm carbs (yes, I know it is overcarbed). Anyways, I want a carb that will give me a thumpy idle and some decent high end pull. I dont want to spend a ton of cash on the cam since I am going to build a 331 stroker soon enough and will have to go with a diffrent cam at that point. I just want it to be thumpy at idle and alittle more fun around town... Any good recomendations?

·
Premium Member
18,134 Posts
The differance between a 302 and a 331 is small. The cam will be a little "softer" in the bigger engine, but not a huge differance. Unless you're racing and need every last bit of HP, I would get a cam that you can use in both engines. No sense wasting money (unless your budget is a lot bigger than mine).

A hydraulic roller will cost you a fair amount of change (IMO). You have a somewhat unusual combination - dual quads in a very light car. You won't find an off the shelf cam that's "perfect" for you. For about $50-60 more, you can have Ed Curtis custom design one for you.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Lunati 51014 Check the website for specs or the Ford x cam (cheaper) will fit in there with stock heads/pistons/ rockers, it will pull to 6500 and needs alot of fuel. We have one in a wore out 5.0 with ugly home ported heads and a Holley 78 DP. We had to jet up 10 sizes both front and rear just to get it to stop missing. The plugs were brite white the first 2 passes. Then we got to +10 on the jets and we were real close .then the stock starter went away. 12.2-12.4 in a 78 Futura. The Ford cams can be had for under 200 . Bob

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Nate with the stock engine your going to need to stat 500 lift max or may run into a problem with piston to valve clearence. Also since your running duels carbs the larger the cam the more difficult it becomes to tune for idle and low speed driving on a stock motor. The more duration the cam has usually the more "lumpy" the idle but also the harder to tune with it's less idle vacum along with your duel carbs.
If just wanting a temp cam while building the stroker motor. Maybe pick up a ford letter cam someone is swapping out for less then a new cam. The best cam for this motor will not be the best cam for the stroker motor more then likely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts