Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
By using the 1/4" tubing in the rear you will reduce the amount of piston travel to the rear calipers over that of the 3/16" hard lines.

Saleen did this years ago on the Mustangs they converted using the Lincoln LSC rearends. Those cars came with an adapter and 1/4" lines. The Master Cylinder was larger to accomodate the increase in front caliper piston size from 52mm to 73mm in design. The MC with a greater piston size has more fluid displacement. When using this in conjunction with a much lighter Mustang versus the Lincoln LSC, the rear brakes would lock-up causing the car to spin.

This necessitated the use of larger rear lines and an adjustable bias valve to get the front to rear differential correct. Now I have swapped the rear IRS from a Cobra and used 3/16" lines with -3 Stainless Steel hoses, I have a much higher clamping load on the rear brakes. When i upgrade to the larger Brembos up front, my bias will be perfect.

I would suggest using the 3/16" line and having an adjustable bias valve to make the system perfect for your driving. By going large initially you reduce the overall rear braking effectiveness you could achieve and also reduce the effectiveness that adding a bias valve would give you.

Hope this helps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.