Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
Mike Everson sells a nice kit, or you can go to my427sc.com, write down part numbers and put one together yourself from McMasterCarr. The latter is of course cheaper but a bit more work.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
In the beginning, I used a stick. Then I tried the gas strut kit from a forum vendor, but it deformed my trunk lid. Now I'm back to the original stick. I might try the trunk prop rod from Finish Line, which is like the originals.

2FAST

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
Check the street rod catalogs. There are some pretty nifty devices just for this. There's even a slick electric opener.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have the one from Finish Line but I can't quite figure out how to mount it. :mad:

Looks like it should work fine, though, once it's mounted.

·
Junior Charter Member
625 Posts
I cut the hood prop rod from the donor and mounted it to the truck floor on th passenger side and put a rubber tip in it. I used a plastic line clamp mounted on the truck on the driver's side to hold it stable on the trunk floor when not in use.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
2Fast, I also use a stick when keeping the trunk lid open for prolonged periods of time. There’s nothing wrong with that. For those who like the period look the Trunk Prop Rod from FinishLine is 18-inches long with an original style finish and costs $20.00 (US). It works great.

Fred, maybe these photos will help you out...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BobAruba,

That is the one I was thinking about, but I don't have that lip hanging down that yours is mounted to (Mk II had the curved top for better trunk space. However, I was thinking I might fabricate a bracket from the curved loop to mount it on?

Bill, that warping issue was one of my worries, also. I have been trying to find one of those rods that expand out and lock with a twist (kind of like a camera tripod leg), but have not been able to locate them.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

td

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used to use the two gas struts, but now I have to hold it up as they quit working.....

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm using the trunk prop from Finishline @$20
Looks good, works good, easy to install and you can't beat the price.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Here's mine. I have since replaced these with a cleaner looking billet version, so these are for sale cheap ($55 retail, make an offer).

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
I'm using a nice and Chromed set of TOILET rack holders....

seriously......

really....

no.......

really.....

what you don't believe me?

Here's proof:
. .

told you....

SERGIO
---------------------
"Project SuperCobra" underway....
2003 SVT Cobra Donor with only 5K miles