Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my car is painted I'm paranoid about working over the fender in the engine bay. I'm even worried about just light scratches from my clothing when leaning over it. What are you guys using over the body when you are doing work?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
As long as you are not going to use any liquids, I have always used the thick cloth fender covers. You can always use beach towels that are folded over to create more padding. Pretty much any thing that is soft, but gives a buffer from scratches. If you are going to use any liquids, you can put some plastic over these cloth covers so it won't bleed through.
This is what I have used for years.
IMHO it works pretty good.
Skip

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I saw some nice rubber/foam material for this application at a car show recently. It was about 3 feet wide, black, and sold by the foot and was not really expensive. It was a little gummy so it clings to the fender and even gripped onto tools that you'd lay on the fender. Some vendor must sell it but I haven't seen it anywhere on line. Great stuff though - I should have bought some.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/fendergripper.html?gclid=CMzgzaWk0okCFRgYgQodZH-s0Q

·
Registered
904 Posts
I use a horse blanket ,just the right size :D

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Clean, heavy beach towels. Seen them used by a professional. Works fine

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
For a quick job, I have a couple of large thick bath towels. For big jobs, I have alarge vinylt fender cover that completly surrounds the engine bay. I'm pretty sure I got it from Finish Line, but I don't see it on ther site now.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Similar to what DMW saw, I saw on a tv program. Looked like a sheet of plastic shrink wrapping they use to hold boxes on pallets for shipping. On the show they riped a section of the roll and layed it over the hood and fenders,then peeled off when done. Like to find some info on these disposable fender covers. For now I used soft backed vynal covers from summit.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
I am not sure but Finishline used to have complete hood opening cover which is for sure the best option. We use it all the time. Cheers Richard.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,075 Posts
Beach towels same color as cobra that are kept in trunk. Same towels are used for temp. seat covers in hot sun.

·
2,860 Posts
I also purchased the full pad from FinishLine. It did not fit well or stay on the car, kept sliding off. Not good. I had to send it back. I did just order two Snake-Oyl pads today in red with the Cobra on it, however. :cool:

·
Charter Member
491 Posts
My buddy uses rubber bottomed bathroom rugs to protect his 67 chevy Fleetside and his 87 Grand National. I'm going to have to pick up a couple of those.

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, thanks for the ideas guys. Some stuff I had not seen before. Thank you. I may use a combo of one of the pleather covers and an old bath towel or two. Please excuse me while I go upstairs and "age" a couple of towels so they are not usable as bath towels...

Hey Russ, working on the car in the buff was supposed to be our little secret ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts