Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my rear wiring and noticed this bracket. It is on the passenger side, right above the gas tank mounting bracket. I can't find any reference to it in the manual. Any idea what it is for?

Also I was working on my engine and I noticed these three holes. The first is on the passenger side of the block that penetrates into the flywheel area.

The second is on the passenger side of the block, just to the rear of the motor mount.

The last hole is on top of the block, again on the passenger side, rear, behind the intake manifold.

Anyone have any idea of what they are for? Thanks. Skip

·
4.6 Terminator Trailblazer
1,743 Posts
can't help you on the motor ?'s, but I think the frame has that extra tab there for the fuel cell, or maybe other year fuel tanks.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
My motor has the same holes and i do not have them plugged. I have primed my engine a couple times and no oil has come out. They must be for accessories such as spark plug wire looms or something.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
the bracket on above the fuel tank is for the third leg of the passenger rollbar. There is a FFR bracket that bolts in place. (I don't have your picture due to being at work.)

·
4,494 Posts
I am fairly sure that the bracket above the fuel tank strap mount can NOT be for the 3rd leg of the passenger rollbar. It is welded to the 3/4" steel frame tube, way to small to support a roll bar leg.

Bill

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
The tab on the back is for the 94-? fuel tank. The straps from my donor (94 Mustang GT) are different than the eary ones and the tab is the mounting point for these years.

The other tapped holes are on my block as well and are used for various other accessories based on the vehicle type.

Dan

·
Senior Charter Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Skip

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I don't have the picures because I am at work with restricted access, it sounded like the rollbar mount from your discription but realise it isn't now!

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Ford had the blocks cast for a number of applications, not only cars and trucks but boat, irrigation pump, and generator as well as industrial engines. The threaded holes on the side are for various types of equipment that is required for a particular application. The hole on the top rear is for a knock sensor that was used on some engines. As long as the hole doesn't go into the water jacket, don't worry about it. Another way to tell is if the hole has pipe threads, it needs to be plugged. If it has straight threads,, it's a blind hole and doesn't require a plug.

John

·
Senior Charter Member
309 Posts
Skip, the extra tab on the frame is for the later model tank straps. the RH strap mounting is different on the later mustangs. joeffr.

·
Premium Member
17,840 Posts
The holes in the rear of the block are for position sensors in later models. Some were on the top, and some were on the side. I would plug them to keep junk from falling in to the clutch area. But I don't think it would be a big deal to leave them open, either.

The hole in the side of the block under the freeze plug is a water jacket drain plug. Be sure and plug that with a pipe plug or a petcock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts