Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on power steering for autocrossing. Car will also see track time so probably will probably need either a Heidts valve or the spring in the pump cut. I've checked out the rack from Breeze - looks like $229 for a 3 turn LTL powered rack, pump for $249, fluid reservoir kit for $95 and a steering pump bracket kit for $89 for a total of $662 (or $289 for a pump/reservoir kit combined).

Any other options here - I would prefer not to use the stock PS pump.

Requirements are not to be twitchy on the street.

I've read a bunch of posts on racks, but haven't seen much discussion on what the best setup is for PS - usually most of the discussions are true manual racks such as the Flaming River racks vs a depowered stock rack, vs a powered set up.

·
4,494 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the stock Mustang rack and power steering system. It has a bunch of advantages, which are: The Cobra is setup for it, all the parts, pump, rack, hoses can be purchased at any parts store. I had this stock system on both my Spec Racer and my street roadster. No complaints. You can still add a Heidi valve if you find it to sensitive, I didn't.

Bill

·
Not a waxer
11,879 Posts
I'm a big fan of power steering in these cars. I've got about 3,000 miles on mine so far (4 months of driving). Street, auto-x and open track. My setup: stock pump, the quick "sport" rack from NAPA which is just over 2 1/2 turns lock to lock and a Heidts valve.

For me and my uses the adjustable valve is the perfect solution. On the street I back the assist out quite a bit; still enough for easy tight quarter maneuvering but with a nice resistance at speed. Autocrossing I go to full assist. On track I adjust midway between the two.

Power steering lets me run 9 degrees of caster which keeps the car rock steady at speed even with the fast rack. I've been to 120 on track and there isn't a bit of twitchiness or nervousness. I have left an autocross event forgetting to adjust the boost down and the car drives the same on the highway; I just prefer more resistance at the wheel for everyday driving.

A street only cruiser would probably be fine with one of the special AGR racks and pump spring mod but the Heidts valve and the adjustability it allows are the key when you get into a multi-use car IMHO. For my purposes I couldn't be more pleased and wouldn't change a thing!

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
car remained twitchy on the street until i did the SAI mod.

i could not tell the difference between a free PS pump i got and the AGR pump.

i think AGR was going to market a special rack tuned for the FFR, different gear ratio for better feel.

converted to power steering in 2000 and never looked back.

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ophitoxemia - do you have any photos of your PS setup?

·
Registered
785 Posts
The stock pump/reservoir and Breeze rack work just fine. If you would like to try it out PM me. I'm only 30 miles south. Also I have a new Ford PS bracket for a very reasonable price if you decide to go that route.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Stock mustang power rack.
Stock pump with relocating bracket. Bracket is needed to move pump away from steering shaft. About 40 bucks for m ford or summit.
Cut spring to reduce psi. Some may want /need adjustable valve but start with cut spring first. For street and the few autox I've done. cut spring has been fine.
Most importantlly is dialing in additional caster. 5-6* will be fine. Not haveing enough caster is where the "twitchyness" comes from.
No need to go overboaord on cost. Mustang parts work fine.:)

·
Senior Charter Member
2,017 Posts
this forum is very good at helping you spend lots of $.
Just get the stock mustang rack and pump.
it works great.....especially considering the money you will save.
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
this forum is very good at helping you spend lots of $.
Just get the stock mustang rack and pump.
it works great.....especially considering the money you will save.
Dave
Inexpensive power steering solution, especially for the COYOTE engine which has no provision for mounting a typical PS pump.on the front.
My application is a '57 Thunderbird in which I retro-rodded to include a 2012 Mustang GT Coyote engine and 6 speed manual.tranny.
The upgraded FATMAN suspension is typical Mustang 2 design. Hence it has a Mustang 2 power steering rack.
My pump solution was to get a used VOLVO C40 power steering pump with an integral ps fluid tank ($75 - Ebay). I mounted it on the frame, and ran normal ps fluid lines from it to the power rack.
I ran a power line from battery to the pump (hot all the time), and connected a ground, and a signal wire from the ignition.
Turning on the ignition triggers an internal relay to run the pump, and a faint wining sound is heard. The PS system is running even without starting the engine!
So, for $100 or less, you can have excellent PS too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the electronic power steering unit installed. Adjustable assistance, uses the manual rack. It transformed the car and I've had zero issues with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts