Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am prepping the install of my drivetrain. I have a crate 302 w/aluminum heads and a Mass-Flo intake. I have a 2 ton engine lift crane. The question is what are the lifting options.
I could take of the throttle body and buy/install a carb lift plate for the Victor Jr intake.
I also have the Ford lift plates that install with the headers. I'll need to clearance them a bit to fit over the summit headers.
Is there another way to wrap a chain around the engine/tranny combo that will not damage anything?

·
8,356 Posts
Whichever way you go, a leveler makes the job much easier. I used the Ford plates to install engine/tranny and then installed intake and headers.

·
Senior Charter Member
217 Posts
I just used a couple of bolts into the holes in the ends of the heads. Ran a single chain diagonally from the rear of one head to the front of the other.

I tried a load leveler, but found that it created interference with the firewall when I tried to intall the motor. This was in a coupe, so I'm not sure what kind of clearance the roadster has.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
I tried David Ozenne's method and most of the time i got it done; the very last time, I used 2 chains and it actually worked better. Wish I had done that 3 lifts ago!!!

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I use four screw in rocker arm studs. they are 7/16" on one end and 3/8" on the other. the 7/16 end screws into the holes in the ends of the heads, and the 3/8 end easily fits through the chain. I use a leveler, and run the chains between the heads.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Used the holes in either end of the heads along with large washers so th bolts don't pull thru.
This is one time when an engine leveler should be used. The leveler lets one person guide the engine tranny in with little effort.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
I saved the stock headers so they clear the stock lift brackets. Maybe someone in your area has a set of stock headers you can borrow.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,

I was leaning toward the leveler, and will probably get one. I just wasn't sure where the "approved" lift points were for each side on the front and back of the engine.

·
5,042 Posts
The photo that J Persons posted shows the shifter still in place. This needs to get under the firewall and it's 1000% easier to do if you remove it.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
2savage has a good point...Make a plywood cover for the shifter hole, and use the bolts and washers to hold it in place...Without shifter you'll save time and knuckles.

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Bolts in the ends of the heads. Use a leveler, I don't know how I got by without one.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Originally posted by 2savage:
The photo that J Persons posted shows the shifter still in place. This needs to get under the firewall and it's 1000% easier to do if you remove it.
I didn't have any problems with the shifter sticking up. The trick is to get the chassis about two feet off the ground, and tilt the engine/trans with the leveler. It slides right in. John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,696 Posts
Ck the autoparts stores to see if you can rent a leveler,but if you can't, buy one.It is SO much easier and easier translates into a lot less scratches/dents in the car.It can be done w/o one it's one of those things that works fine on an old Mustang but not on a nice new Cobra.

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
I've pulled and installed several engines, including a 302 with alum heads and the trans installed in my Cobra. I use heavy motorcycle tie downs. They are adjustable nylon straps with rubber coated hooks and don't mess stuff up like chains. Hooks can be fed in various holes or around mounts. Actually use four to lift and another couple for redundancy just in case.

·
1,073 Posts
I used a heavy nylon tow rope wrapped around the headers. Worked just fine.

·
Premium Member
18,134 Posts
Here's how I did mine a few days ago. Use the load leveler, it's a real back saver. Use the lowest, most outside bolt hole on the front and back of the heads. For my heads I needed two 7/16" bolts, and two 3/8" bolts.

Move the front chain attachment point as far to the rear of the leveler as possible. That actually brings the device foreward, and eliminates some of the firewall/body interferance. When installing, the engine drops down, and then back, to clear the body lip. Not a problem without the body in place; lots of room.

It doesn't really fit under the body lip with the intake in place, that's why it's not installed. Installing the intake isn't any more difficult on the car than off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts