Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people call them knuckles but Roger Penske and the Indy Car guys have always called them by what function they perform. Roger is not returning my calls so I have to ask this of the forum.

Do I need to support the inner race? Or can I use the old bearing to support the new bearing? When I do this it is supporting the outer race and I’m not comfortable with that. I don’t want to do harm to the new bearings.

I tried freezing the hub (inside part) and warming the bearing which has worked for me with bearings but not this time. Now I’m stuck

What’s the best way?

Jack

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Jack:
I think you got the warm/cold in reverse.

cool down the bearing or warm up the knuckle.

I used my 12 ton press and heated up the knuckle a bit; eventually it expanded enough to allow the bearing to seat.

I would guess freezing the bearing would do the same thing. I would recommend you don't do both at the same time.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Support the inner race from the other side and press the hub into the bearing. Otherwise you will damage the bearing assembly as they don't go easily. I used a piece of steel round stock just barely larger than the inner race.
Have you already installed new bearings?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the new bearings in the hub carrier. I froze the bearing and warmed the carrier, the bearings dropped in. Now I need to install the hub into the bearing. I cooled the hub making it smaller and warmed the bearing (making Bigger) which is in the knuckle (I hate using that word in this application). It started in but stopped. I know when I pressed the old hub out it took some pressure in an arbor press. I guess I’ll have to go to work tomorrow and use the arbor press.

Thanks BS

Jack

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Unless you have a pretty stout arbor press I would be surprised if it has enough power to press in the hub. A hydraulic would be much better. My buddie's 12 ton hydraulic was just barely enough to press in the hubs. A 20 ton would work better.

Bob

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean a hydraulic press. I'm sorry. I think it took close to 20 tons to push the bearing out but I figured that was because they were in their since 1994. I have access to a 20 ton press, heck I have access to a 430 ton injection molding press. I sell injection molding and mold making services.

Thanks again BS you are giving me good information.
Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts