Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a fantastic time. Chuck & Penny Robertson organized a better than first class event!. I don't know the final headcount, but it appeared that we had about 40-50 FFR's and about the same number of cars from COCOA (Southern California Cobra Owners, primarily Shelby cars). All day track sessions on Saturday and Sunday. Sandwiches and drinks for lunch, big BBQ for dinner at the end of the day, lots of sponsor door prizes, lots of talk, videos, awards (I am sure Chuck will post a list of who got what). While last years Roundup in Vegas was great, this one was much better and more people. Here is a couple of picture of Doug Wonderly (1HOTSC) crossing the start finish line, and me hard on it in turn 4.

Unfortunately, no one seemed to have gotten a picture of my extensive off-track excursion on Saturday. It appears I blew a left rear tire coming out of turn two and the car took on a mind of its own and proceeded up the outside and got the left tires into the dirt. I followed my training and let the car go straight, bouncing all over the place. Somewhere in that process my foot apparently bounced off the brakes and onto the throttle. That launched the car back across the track, became airborne and landed in the extensive infield between turn 3 and 1. The car tipped up sideways on the drivers side and I saw I was heading broadside toward a berm and determined I was going to roll it. Fortunately the berm was soft and the car plowed through it. In fact I plowed up enough dirt they were considering planting corn! Anyway I drove around and got back on the track and back to the pits. Got the rear tires changed and continued racing. Other that a bunch of paint damage, bent side pipe and dent in the fuel cell, the car continued on for 5 more sessions.

Bill

·
1,743 Posts
Thanks Bill.

I have some...

Saturday morning and waiting for "tech" at sunrise.

"The Gathering" at supper time

Not Ready for Prime Time Racers at the grill

Sunset and Sir Chuck at the helm to wrap up the first night and hand out the very well deserved "Thank You's" and Trophys

·
Registered
95 Posts
BILL

Don't feel to bad. At about 3PM today someone in a blue Cobra, in the blue group, made an OVERLAND ADVENTURE after a problem with turn #9.
It was really great seeing everyone again.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Here are two more. We had a great time. This was a great family event for us.

·
junior charter member
584 Posts
I would like to take a moment to express for the spec racers our appriciation to all of you for making us feel so welcome! It was great seeing all the open trackers, and the street car guys and gals and getting to meet all of you. Hopefully we can do it again next year, and we promise to bring alot more cars to the event. Hopefully you all enjoyed the race, we certainly enjoyed your company. Congratulation to Chuck and everyone for putting on such an event it was truly great.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Dan,

Thank you for bringing the spec racers. Everyone at COCOA enjoyed seeing you guys hot footing it around the course and expecially 4 wide around turn 1! We all had a great time at Willow Springs.

Roger

·
Registered
66 Posts
Roger and Chuck, thanks for a great time. You guys did a great job, I had lots of fun. I will try and post my in car video of my spin going off turn 9 at 110 mph, kind of spooky. Thanks again, Scott

·
2,990 Posts
Thanks to all for a great time what a great turn out. That’s the first open track event I have attended. I talked with lots of people, got ideas from the cars at the car show, watched lots of the open track guys run and the spec racers race was lots of fun, got to ride as a passenger on the track in Mike’s (FordGuy) Cobra, had great food (thanks to all the chefs) and at the drawing during dinner I actually won twice. I think that’s the first time I have won something at a drawing although I think everyone won something. What a great day it went by way too fast.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
What a great time that must have been.
Hope I can make the next one

·
Charter Member
1,317 Posts
I had such a great time and it was sooo much fun out there on the track. I am addicted to this stuff now. It was great to see everyone and my wife and I were amazed how organized it was. I forgot to bring my camera but I paid for a picture of my car in the gift shop which I scaned.

·
2,071 Posts
After a weekend of seeing old friends, making new ones, eating more than I should, maybe having a few more beers than I should, all I really want to say is thank you to everyone that made this event one of the best.

First without our Sponsors this event could not happen. Serpant Express, California Cobra, Vintage Wheels, Stewart Transport, Wire Diet.Com, Chicane Video Production, Five Star Ford, Russ's Garage, Fastlane Racing School, Racing Adventures and Derek Daly Academy. also a special thanks to our Saturday lunch, water and soft drink sponsors, Cobra Motorsports, Levy Racing and Miller Customs.

Next I would like to thank Lynn Park of the Cobra Owners Club of America (COCOA) for letting us tag on to his event. Lynn has been doing this event twice a year for the last 37 years.

The Spec Racer's , You guys were the highlight of the event. Your driving skills are just amazing. When you guys went four wide into turn one you got the attention of everyone at the track. It would be great to have you guys at all our future events.

The Not Ready For Prime Time Racers This group of guys make planning an event easy. Everyone of them just step up to the plate and take care of business. Jeff, Joe, Bart, Nels, Lynn, Bill, Dave, Richard, Langeley and Roger. Thanks again for your help.

Again this year the car Show was run Don Depontee and what a great job he did. Here is a list of the winners.

Beat of Show Russ Thompson
Best Roadster Larry Johnson
Best Paint Scott Davison
Best Engine Ken Bush
Best Interior Doug Wonderly
Best Innovative Paul Scott
Best Under Construction Kenny Allwein
Legacy Award Steve Moriarty

Hopefully on will post some pictures of the winners.

Open Trackers You all were winners. At last years Roundup we had 14 cars on the track. This year the official count was 31. About half were first timers and the COCOA officials were impressed with how well everyone did. They invited us back for any of their future events.

I am getting long winded so I will wrap this up. Again thanks to everyone that attended and if your wondering if I had fun check out this smile.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It was great seeing everybody, and making new friends. THe prefect spot to have an event. My brother-in-law, who came up with us on his motorcycle, said he never been to a motorsports event the was so well put together, & fun to.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thanks Chuck! It was good to put some faces on the forum names, I guess I'll have to get a trailer so I can run with you guys next time. What a great couple of days temp was just right I had a great drive up there and back from San Diego wish I could stayed later Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Thanks for the rides guys. The kids loved it and can't wait to finish our own build. You were too kind.

I must say...Roger is pretty good at handling the weiners.

-K

[ November 01, 2005, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Kouros ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,566 Posts
My weekend ended early Saturday when my p/s rack gave out. I had a great time and know I'll be back in May. I did get two sessions and the second was outstanding, running with two Mustang GT350's. The only bad thing was I forgot to turn my camera on! Oh well, here's some pics I took during the rest of the day.

http://www.weendoggy.com/cocoa/willow.htm

Great to see so many people and their cars. Thanks to all who made/make this happen. Roger, Nels and Lynn cook a mean bbq. Oh yeah, Penny Robertson and the other wives/significant others for being there as well!

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
I knew I shouldn't have looked - now I'm just jealous.

Jeff R - cool pic! Looks like you're starting him young.

Bill32 - glad you and the car are (relatively) OK. I've also had "off road racing" experience at Willow. Turn 9 on a motorcycle... :(

Drive on!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.