Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems that what I thought to be a rod end letting loose seems to be just a little more than that. Once I dropped the pan it really suprised the crap out of me.
Seems that what did happen took out #3 & 5 pistons just decintegrating them from the pins on down and then bent the rod on the one and ripped the entire jornal right off the crank. Even ripped off a big chunk of the block right there also.
I was not even running it that hard when it happened, I was going into a turn and downshifted to third and it ran up to about 3500 and then kaboom! Hopefully I can find out exactly what happened and that the engine builder will still cover something on it.
This is what ended up cancelling London for me.
I could not believe the carnage on this one.
Looks like I am done for a little while longer than I thought.
Todd

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
So did you mean cylinders 3 & 7?

Boy, that's unusual.

Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
WOW! A real grenade blast!
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Could have taken out both cylinder heads, too :(

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Sorry man. What a bloodbath.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,784 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing the tops of the pistons also. The way everything looks, it looks like the piston stopped in the bore and nothing else did.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I don't have the heads off yet but I figure that will probably happen sometime tomorrow when I get back home from work. I guess I will either have a bunch of parts for sale or be buying a new short block.

Porxter, yes that was supposed to be 3&7.

Gordon,
I believe that you are right, especially with the one rod bent like it is and the whole jornal gone. Once I get them off I will take some more pics. There was a lot of metal at the bottom of the pan also, maybe like it broke the crank last and beat everything else up until they locked up. That is why I would like to be able to decifer what exactly happened.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
I expect you to find a valve in the cylinder.

Steve

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
Todd, sorry to see this. I'm guessing the crank went first and the counterweights did the piston damage. Either way it sucks. Good luck and let us know your findings.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,784 Posts
Todd, give me a call when you can get some more pics. You can e-mail them to me at [email protected] and call me at 520-494-2745.

·
ChickenCobra
190 Posts
Todd : Very sorry to see this ! You are certainly one of the GOOD GUYS and we hate to have this kind of thing happen to you !! Best of luck with your repair !!

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts
Todd,

Ouch, those pics are hard to look at and it isn't even my motor. Sorry to hear.

·
Building
833 Posts
ouch that brings back memories... Just not as bad... Mine was a Rod thru the Pan thou... bad enough.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Yikes Todd! Looks like you will be off to the recycling yard to get your 25.00 for that one-eesh! I hope the builder covers some of the damage so you can start building again soon. Do you think you will use the same guy??

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,274 Posts
Wow :eek:

That's definitely not a good thing. Sorry 'bout the bad luck.

Just make sure you have it fixed by September :D

·
Junior Charter Member
154 Posts
Is that a cast steel crank? I have a suspicion that if it is, then it may have had a flaw at the rod journal radius to counterweight area.
You may want to have a metalurgist take a look at the fracture area, looks kinda grainy.

·
Junior Charter Member
222 Posts
Aw Snap!! That is crazy...the gouges in the block wall. Is it time for a Side Oiler?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts