Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem is, the car charges fine when at a standstill, but when I start moving, the voltage gauge goes down to about 11.5 volts, and at a stand still its upper 13's! It won't drop if I'm standing still, and rev it up, only when I start moving! I checked all connections, and everythings looks good. Any idea what that may be? Help, thanks
Frank

·
Junior Charter Member
815 Posts
Are you using a voltmeter on the battery or are you referencing a gauge? If using dash gauge, check your voltage using a good voltage meter to rule out something interfering with dash gauge causing a false reading.

Is the wiring to the alternator attached in such a way that under torque it is pulling on them and breaking connection?

·
1,123 Posts
Upper 13's is low. It should be in the 14 volt range. Have you checked the belt to see if it is slipping? A loose belt will not allow it to charge correctly at idle or under accelation.

·
Junior Charter Member
256 Posts
This may sound strange, but check you connections on your battery. My negative cable was loose, and even though the car started fine, when driving around I was getting all kinds of weird readings on the voltage gauge, and my charging light barely blinked on and off.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
What kind of alternator are you using? If you have installed a "one-wire" alternator which is very popular in the hot rod/custom scene, junk it and get a (heaven forbid) 3 wire. One wire's were made for farm equipment and were never intended to service the demands of a modern car, even one of these relatively simple roadsters.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Originally posted by Dior55:
What kind of alternator are you using? If you have installed a "one-wire" alternator which is very popular in the hot rod/custom scene, junk it and get a (heaven forbid) 3 wire. One wire's were made for farm equipment and were never intended to service the demands of a modern car, even one of these relatively simple roadsters.
I use the "one wire" 140 amp Powermaster, 11K miles now. Still have the original battery. They work fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I updated to the 3g alternator, and I have used a volt meter, and still get the same results. There are no wires that I see that are being stressed, and like I said, I can rev it at idle, and it keeps the charge up, but when I am actually moving, the gauge goes down to around 12 volts. It sucks when I get somewhere, and the battery is to low to even crank it after I shut it down!! Help!! anymore suggestions?

·
Junior Charter Member
815 Posts
The only thing I can think of that comes to mind would be a circuit from the EEC (I'm assuming you are EFI) that kicks in when the car is moving.

Have you pulled KOEO/KOER codes to see if the computer is telling you any sensors aren't registering correctly? Only things that come to mind that might effect elctrics while the car is moving are TAD/TAB (but this is more temp and RPM related), VSS, NSS (whether in gear or out when performing garage tests) and electronic speedo. Maybe others, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'd start looking at anything electrical that is triggered when the car is moving since that appears to be the only time this is occuring.

Something I learned the hard way is to not just use a continuity tester that beeps to check your wiring - get a test light. They are cheap.

I was speaking with another owner this weekend who has a similar problem that occurs only when he uses his turn signals.

·
Charter Member
474 Posts
Crazy,
Do you have a good multumeter? If so try attaching it to the battery so that you can read it when you're moving. See if the battery voltage is really going down.
My best guess is that your dash meter is wired wrong on either the positive side or the negative side. I think you're drawing current through another load on one of those leads. If so, either the Positive is dragged down or the negative is floating up.
I may be wrong on this, but having the voltage come up at fast idle seems like you have good alternator output.
One more thing: what happens if you turn the lights on at fast idle?
I will be in Milwaukee this weekend if you need help. Let me know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is true that the charging goes up at high idle standing still, which is normal, but its only as I move that it goes down. I appreciate the offer to help, but my car is in storage right now, so its not accesible at the moment. I do believe that its not charging properly only when moving, because it is discharged usually to the point of not being able to crank good after I shut it off, and if I jump it after shut down, it will crank normally. I think its just one of those bugs that I am going to have to hunt down.

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
Weird is right. Just plain weird.
I've been following this thread right from the start and I can't come up with anything that's involved when the car's moving that's not involved when you rev it sitting still.
It might be worth rigging an ammeter to see if your current draw goes up when you roll, or if the problem is a charging system that somehow goes down as the car moves. If we could see the current draw we'd at least know if we're looking at a flaw in the chassis wiring or the charging system itself. 'Cause, to tell you the truth, after start-up, these cars should go a long, long way without the battery going flat. Especially when you're not using the lights.

Weird, just plain weird.
Maybe the problem is your forum name. Consider changing it to "normalfb" :D

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Polarity of the Ameter right? just wondering.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wade,
What would wiring the fan backwards cause? I'm assuming its wired correctly because it is sucking in the air, it is blowing towards the back of the car in other words.

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its a brand new 3G from Mr. Alternator. I contacted him, and he really didn't have an answer for me either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts