Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the weight of the rear donor axle without brake hardware?

Thanks...

-f-

·
Junior Charter Member
474 Posts
Kouros-- you must be one strong dude if you think those things weigh 80-90#!! That why my 6'8" 245# son does all the heavy lifting!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The FFR manual says it weighs 225 lbs. I spent this weekend cleaning mine up and had to move it around in the process... it weighs A LOT more than 80 - 90 lbs!!

-Jon A.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Yep, I wrestled all 225 of it into my 3-link chassis by myself. I was sweating like it weighed 500 pounds by the time I was done.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Kouros was thinking kilos...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Maybe 200lbs without the brakes? I know I was moving mine around this weekend, and it was fairly heavy, but not toooo bad...

·
1,913 Posts
I'm about to get my gears swapped, and I'd estimate that the rear without brakes of any kind, without the harmonic balancing weight and drained of oil (what is in my garage at the moment) is about 180 lbs, maybe a BIT lighter. I'm about 160 soaking wet, and it is manageable for me as long as I keep my footing (as in - do not step in the spilled hypoid).

I plan to get it installed without any brake HW, and to install that after the 3 link is all bolted in.

HTH

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies....

I'm guessing this will be the most awkward thing to move around / clean up and to get placed in the frame. Granted, the engine/tranny is a bigger bundle, but I'll have lifting equipment to at least support the load.

Regards,

Frank

·
3,798 Posts
Like gbranham above, I installed the rear axle in my three link set up alone. They do move quite easy when using a floor jack.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
It was very heavy with the brakes and other stuff at first, but after we took the axles out and the internals, I was able to lift it. That's why I estimated at 90 pounds....because I can't lift any more than that....Lol....Man you guys got on that one....Arrrrrgggg.

-Cheers,

K

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I made a small stand out of wood with castors to move it around. Saved alot of lifting when cleaning and I just rolled it under the frame and lowered the frame down to it to install.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts