Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 18 months small oil and coolant leaks have had me “dabbing at the chin” of my car. I have plans this weekend to, with my friend Mike Aedo to remove the engine and trans and locate and repair both. The oil might be the rear main but Gordon Levy has been helpful in pointing to other spots to check.

I bought my engine from the now defunct T&L and along the way it’s been clear that the parts they used were far from prime.

I have one of Gordon's excellent Quatermaster clutches and am hopeful it remains thick enough to re-use the plate.

While the engine is out I'll attend to a variety of rough edges. Ideally I'd be doing this at home and take day to detail and "hone" everything. But I feel far safer working with Mike's help.

I went to a hotrod show and sat in a smaller Kirkey seat and adored the fit. When I bought the car I tried to get a smaller size from FFR and learned there are "no substitutions". I'm going to remove my driver seat and "press" it in on the sides a bit and considering using dense foam to have me sitting more snugly. I'm also going to ask Mike about cutting and re-welding the shoulder wings. In their current form they do nothing for me.

Money is tight and I wanted to make an incremental upgrade to my brakes and bought some rears from Gordon. Per usual I found him extremely helpful and patient with my questions. When I get them in and try them I'll report on the performance of PBR fronts and Wilwood rears.

Gordon did point out I ought to swap my masters. That will help too. I'm not sure if that was my mistake or poor advice.

I'll be in Mokena IL where there are plenty of parts stores and an excellent old line speed shop in downtown Joliet: Welcome to Winner's Circle Online Being close to parts when I'm elbows deep lends me comfort.

Respectfully,

·
1,771 Posts
best wishes, Brian your plan to pull it out and do it compltely wil probably be the easiest in the end. Would love to hear about the brakes as I need to do some upgrades there too. pics too.

Regards, Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
753 Posts
Brian
McMaster-Carr has a great line of "memory" foam in several different densities. You can buy relatively small quantities and their delivery is quick. I've had some stuff arrive the day after ordering if I place the order early in the day. Here's a link:

McMaster-Carr

·
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Work (With photos)

I'd love a lift

Rear main was leaking. (as was an AN fitting on an oil line) The front seal a bit too.

Harmonic balancer was rubbing a bit on the water pump and I'm going to grind the pump a bit and replace the balancer which had a bit too much of a wobble. It knocked the pump body enough to cause a slight leak.

Bearings look good and I see what is meant about 347's along lots of piston skirt to come out of the bore on down stroke:

8000 miles in three years 20 track days. Clutch is boarderline so I'm going to replace it. Spoke to Gordon Levy (At the track) and he's having them drop shipped.

Installed a drain plug in the diff:

We left the engine in. Trans out (TKO 600), needs a steam clean:

·
Junior Charter Member
753 Posts
Brian
Great pics.
The drain plug on the diff is an excellent idea. Hadn't thought of that but will be doing that before the pumpkin is in its final resting place.
Did you have much difficulty removing the TKO trans with the engine still in place? It seems like room under there is very limited.

BTW on lining the seat with foam. I had a lot of slop room in the seat on my racecar and added 1/2" of medium density (green) memory foam from McMaster-Carr on the sides and bottom. I used 3M 77 spray adhesive then covered it with a nomex cloth using the same adhesive. That was about ten years ago and it's still working great. The cloth is a bit rough around the edges but it was a "quick and dirty" job. The foam does a great job of cradling my considerable mass and also damping out vibration. I've been told it's the same type of foam that's used in the seats of modern fighter planes to help reduce vibration induced fatigue.

·
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More pics later.

The trans is real tough to get out Crossle. The clutch has to be removed first... awkwardly reaching in to the bell housing. And try it only on a lift... with three able people.

I didn't get to the seat but plan to. I'm on the slim side so I'm going to bend the seat in a bit and then install some foam to hold me snug.

My thanks to my friend Mike. His place is like camp for auto-mechanics. Another guy was there working on his beautiful Flathead. I want to go this summer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts