Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Mike,
That setup looks "Rode Hard and put away wet"!!! How goes it in St.Louis? I won't be back into town until Christmas, but it will be glad to be home anyways.
For what this guys wants, you'd be better off buying new,a new setup is only $1,000 more to what his price is, and webers are a bear to set up,you never know what they did to 'em.
Have a good one!
Ben

[ August 07, 2005, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Ben Smith ]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ben

Good to hear from you! Yea, this looks a bit rough for the price, but I'd rater rebuild a Weber than a Carter! I have worked with Webers on several road-race cars (Datsun 510, Lotus Europa Twin Cam) and my brother, Mark, rebuilds carbs from all over the midwest. Four, though, is quite a handful, for sure. Be safe and hurry home!

Mike

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
You guys thought $1500 was too much. Well, they sold for $2500, and the guy got a bargain. Those numbers look like the carbs date back to 66-70, which would make the setup very desirable for someone doing a restoration project.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Although the carbs look a bit "tired" they can be rebuilt to look good as new. The manifold is a bigger concern. It appears to have been milled. If it has, it will require some extra gasketing on the front and rear to make it seal. And with the twin water outlets, it requires a remote filler/thermostat.

I can get a complete set up with 48 IDA's from Wayne at Very Cool Parts for $3K.

GT40 Bill

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Yes, Wayne can fix anyone up with a really nice Weber setup. But, can he get 40 year old ones for a 100 point restoration project? Those mothers were made in Italy, modern Webers are made in Spain. My only point is that they have extra value to someone who needs them for a specific project.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Joe-

I agree with you 100%. For a restoration project, or for someone interested in pure authenticity, they are a good deal. I was trying to show what a new setup costs for comparison.

GT40 Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts