Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
FFR Cobra King
761 Posts
Damn Wayne, those are so beautiful!!!!!!!! If only I could sneak a set by the little woman...... Must resist....Must resist.....

KC

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
The check was mailed on Tuesday, hold a set for me Wayne!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Now that's the setup for a MANS car turning about 7'000 rpms in 4th gear, AARRRR!

·
Junior Charter Member
25 Posts
Curious...Are 44IDF's with larger chokes too small for the 302? I have a set with 38mm chokes that i had thought about doing something with, i think the body of the 40/44 IDF is smaller than the 48 though, so my guess is that the manifold wouldn't work anyway...

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Wayne: Sometimes I hate this forum - gets me distracted. As I have mentioned before... these are beautiful. On beauty alone I may buy but:

In basic terms...what are pro's/cons for a 306 intended primarily for street use vs carb? Do you know if the ports would match with Ford GT40X "tall high flow ports"?

Members: In the home business you generally get every penny back and then some for updated kitchens & baths (within the limits of the local market).... Do you think that adding Webers has the same effect on potential car consumers? In other words... as an educated Cobra consumer... suppose you found two cars that you liked - and they were exactly the same except for the Webers.... would you pay a $3000 premium for the Weber'd car? My vote is YES!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
MAJOR LUST I wouldn't even care if the engine would run. I just like to look at the carbs sitting there.

jack

·
Supporting Vendor & Admin
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by bettertonm:
Curious...Are 44IDF's with larger chokes too small for the 302? I have a set with 38mm chokes that i had thought about doing something with, i think the body of the 40/44 IDF is smaller than the 48 though, so my guess is that the manifold wouldn't work anyway...
Better:
The manifold will work but the old 44 IDF carbs are too small for anything but a mild 289/302. The new IDF's are available in 48mm which work very well on the 302/347's

Bob,
The IDA's are what originally came on the Cobras and were available in 48mm ( and a couple dozen 53mm were made, and it takes a suitcase full of $ to buy a set). They were a race carb designed to carburate well between 2500 and 8000 RPM, the low speed circuit worked but not well. The 48mm Webers that SHelby used had a third tranfer port drilled (by Redline-Weber) in them much more street friendly. The bore center is wider on the IDA than the IDF. The original IDF was only available in 44mm which is why they were not used in a racing application but they are now available in 44, 46 and 48 mm. The new 48mm IDF have the street driving characteristics you want with the top end flow of the 48mm IDA's.

SR71,
The GT40X heads do have a slightly taller port (.050") and the manifold fits well. The only "high port" heads that you would have a problem with are Yates style heads. The IDF are a street carb and have the best mannner a tuning of any downdraft Weber.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Well heres the set I ordered. (No longer mine.)

Im grinning like a mule eating briars !

If your on the fence about these, DO IT !

ThanX Wayne.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
can you use the the hollman moody maniford in the back of the FMS catalog? ..pros cons?....and i'm curious if you can hear them over the pipes...same for the stack system...can you hear either on throttle?...
very troubling ...stacks, no webers, no stacks, no webers :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wayne:

I have a set of 48 IDA's w/manifold. I bought new prior to being on this forum. This was when I ordered my kit. The car is built and running beautifully with a Edelbrock Manifold and matched carb. I want to install the Webers but wonder if you might look them over for me prior to me installing them. I have a 351W/400 HP Engine Factory powerplant. Do you ever do this kind of thing? I'm almost embarrassed to ask but am really concerned about setting these up. I'm obviously willing to pay you to do this.

Dean

·
Supporting Vendor & Admin
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don, just tell me what size the pilot jets, emulsion tubes, main jets and squirters are.

Grego, I can use the Holman Moody manifold on the carbs. It will cost more to do it that way. BTW Lee Holman was really a great guy to hang around. I had him as the guest speaker at the 2005 FFR Nationals and sat with him at dinner. The stories at the table were fantastic.

·
Junior Charter Member
43 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance, but I always wondered what the advantages were to a Weber IDF?IDA setup. Does it forego some of the problems a standard carb could develop under hard cornering or acceleration? There's no doubt that they look great, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts