Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Should we merge the 4.6L forum into the main Roadster forum?

• Yes

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 59.2%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since many builds are becoming 4.6L, why not merge this forum with the roadster area. It seems that this forum is getting less traffic.

What do you think?

Bill

·
Registered
96 Posts
Merging 4.6 Thread into Roadster Forum

As one who has ordered a Hot Rod and will be using a 4.6 DOHC, it would mean searching the Roadster Forum for relevant info. From my perspective, it would not be an improvement. However, if you think it best, go for it. I really appreciate this site and don't want to be a naysayer. Thanks for all you do.

John

·
Geek
1,635 Posts
I voted "no" too. There are many issues that are very different for 4.6 engines relative to small blocks, e.g. wiring, PATS, fuel tank set up, etc. etc. The problem comes in the search function, which most of the time I cannot get to work ok for what I want to do. Having the searches restricted to the 4.6 forum is a huge help.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide input.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm a "no" too because it seems that what few donor and partial donor builds there are anymore involve 4.6's and it's easier to find needed info here.

·
Super Moderator
29,401 Posts
I voted yes

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I voted "No". There are unique issues and opportunities with Mod engines that can be found and discussed here easier than in the general forum. Also, there is going to be a continuing growth in Mod Engine builds since the OHV donors are getting more scarce and the Mod donors are becoming more available and are newer with lower miles.

If forum traffic is the only determining factor here's some numbers:
4.6 forum - 19 threads this month not counting this one
Chevy and other engines forum - 3 threads this month
Big Block forum - 6 threads this month
Looks like chevy should be closed first then Big block before 4.6 gets the axe??
Chris

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
I voted no. Different issues among different engines.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I also voted an emphatic NO....!

There are too many issues specific to the 4.6 that warrant a separate sub section:

Wiring / wire diet / Pats issues...

Factory Supercharged donor issues...

Multiple engine variations...2V...3V...4V...

Mark VIII donor engine variations...

Frame / Panel / Fitting issues specific to the modular engines...

I also agree that other forum sub sections see far less activity if reducing the number of categories is the goal.

Kerry and Kathy

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Like the engine category instead of merging with roadster

I am a 'no' - for exacly the same reasons as below. A mod-motor category (not roadster-specific) amongst the other engine categories seems like the best choice.

Maybe in a year or so when more tags are used and people learn to use them.
OR
Maybe if you add a 4.6L engine forum. After all we have a forum for...
Ford Small Block Engine
289/302 | 351W | 351C Engines

Ford Big Block Engines
427/428 | 429 | FE | 460 Engines

Ford Small Block Engine
289/302 | 351W | 351C Engines

Forced Induction / Nitrous
Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers | NOS

Fuel Injection Pit Road
EFI Tuning | ECM Programing | MAF | Stack Injections

·
Not a waxer
11,906 Posts
I have to go with NO also. I read this section regularly and it seems the vast majority of the builders/users are savvy enough to post the questions that crossover such as chassis, suspension, general electrical, etc. to the main forum, which keeps the bulk of the topics here specific to the 4.6. This subforum is a tremendous resource for the information that is unique to that engine package. I've not built a mod-motor car but if that day comes in the future I'd sure rather not have to search through the main roadster forum to find relevent info. JMHO of course!

Jeff

·
Builder of FFR#5197
1,404 Posts
It is very helpful to have it seperate, but hey...it's your world I'm just glad to be a part of it. I think it is best to keep it seperate for the newer builders and for researching past posts for research.

·
Victory is ours! Fite4it!
262 Posts
I have to say NO as well. Having it separate is a big time saver in doing research, especially for newbies such as myself.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts