Factory Five Racing Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Can someone point me to the post where we discussed requesting the site to change and the Administrator asking what we wanted? I missed it.

and can anyone tell me how to get rid of the crap on the right 1/3 of the screen?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can someone point me to the post where we discussed requesting the site to change and the Administrator asking what we wanted? I missed it.

and can anyone tell me how to get rid of the crap on the right 1/3 of the screen?
Apparently you're supposed to play with your browser settings and somehow magically all that crap goes away LOL!!!!

·
HighTech Redneck
603 Posts
I just realized all of my "perma-links" are broken. They point to the head of the thread instead of a specific post. That's REALLY disappointing...

Kyle

·
Premium Member
16,154 Posts
And in the category of most useless information. Why the heck would anyone ever want their "Home Page" to be filled with a 13 page list of threads that have not changed since the last time you visited??! (Since I never visited most of those threads I'm guessing this is since the last time I was on the forum.) Am I supposed to feel sympathy for the lonely threads and throw them a post just to make it feel better?

View attachment 356352

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
These recommended threads are currently trending within the community. If you find that to not be accurate, it may be a database function from the move, but in time that will become more and more accurate.

-Gerrit

·
OT Moderator
13,891 Posts
2 weeks in, and it still SUCKS!!!!

The excess amount of ad's is just overwhelming, and insulting!!!

·
Premium Member
16,154 Posts
These recommended threads are currently trending within the community. If you find that to not be accurate, it may be a database function from the move, but in time that will become more and more accurate.

-Gerrit
What do you mean they are trending? It is specifically a list of threads that have NOT CHANGED since the last time you visited. I don't think I would consider a thread that has not changed since the last time you were here as trending (especially not one that was several days old)??

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
The "Trending Discussions" list and page are populated from discussions with the most participation. Comments, likes, views and sources of participants (if it is one or multiple users) all factor in. So even if the thread is 7 days old, if people are still participating in it, the thread is still trending.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
25 Posts
The "Trending Discussions" list and page are populated from discussions with the most participation. Comments, likes, views and sources of participants (if it is one or multiple users) all factor in. So even if the thread is 7 days old, if people are still participating in it, the thread is still trending.

-Gerrit
I call BS
Hard to believe anyone is doing anything with a thread called "time to talk Mr Smith" with the last post of January 2016 which appeared 4th in my trending list. So while you think you may have an explanation for it Gerrit, please take it to heart that the forum does not find it useful or relevant no matter what your explanation.

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I call BS
Hard to believe anyone is doing anything with a thread called "time to talk Mr Smith" with the last post of January 2016 which appeared 4th in my trending list. So while you think you may have an explanation for it Gerrit, please take it to heart that the forum does not find it useful or relevant no matter what your explanation.
Your collective constructive feedback is how we build out a better process for things like this.
-Philip

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Your collective constructive feedback is how we build out a better process for things like this.
-Philip
That's ironic. If you truly listened to the forum feedback, you wouldn't have changed it AGAIN. I guess no one reviewed the comments from the last change. You're not going to convince us this is better.

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
With regards to vBulletin specifically, there were several factors considered when moving away from VB:
  • vBulletin does not support IPv6, leaving a security gap in registration and spam management
  • VBulletin relies on third party plugins that get more and more unsupported with each passing year
  • VBulletin skins do not properly respond to mobile devices (which is a significant and growing portion of site traffic).
  • The most stable VB version is 10 years old and is only updated with security patches. Newer versions are known for very difficult bugs for usability (inability to post pictures for instance)
  • VBulletin's response time is staggeringly slow at best, even with the most recent server updates we've performed
  • Use of VB still requires us to lean on a third party for major updates and fixes should something break in the core software
-Philip

·
Registered
25 Posts
With regards to vBulletin specifically, there were several factors considered when moving away from VB:
-Philip
No problem, use whatever tools make your job easier. From a user perspective, it doesn't matter. When I buy a car I could care less what software tools were used to design it, I only care about the esthetics, performance and functionality of the final product. Same case with this forum. It's missing features, the layout sucks, there is far too much useless information cluttering the screen, etc, etc.... One suggestion, and this will really show that you guys are listening: start a sticky that lists the improvements that you're committed to making and roughly when you'll have them implemented....

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
No problem, use whatever tools make your job easier. From a user perspective, it doesn't matter. When I buy a car I could care less what software tools were used to design it, I only care about the esthetics, performance and functionality of the final product. Same case with this forum. It's missing features, the layout sucks, there is far too much useless information cluttering the screen, etc, etc.... One suggestion, and this will really show that you guys are listening: start a sticky that lists the improvements that you're committed to making and roughly when you'll have them implemented....
You care that it runs and all the safety works too. We are focused on building updates to all the sites but are not making any changes on the fly. The design and development teams manage these changes so I am not able to comment on what they are committed to doing or not doing until I know its about to roll out with an update.
-Philip

·
Registered
392 Posts
Whether you like it or not, change is inevitable. I'm sure the new forum format had the best intentions in mind re: cyber security and flow. I hope the administrators are listening to the feedback from members. I've only been a member for a short time, but in the 10 months I've been building my roadster and posting about my experience, I've noticed a significant dropoff in forum participation since the new change. It's the members and their experience that makes this forum work. Without it, fewer and fewer will be willing to participate. I'm sure the administrators can follow website traffic before and after the change and will take action to lure some back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
... I'm sure the administrators can follow website traffic before and after the change and will take action to lure some back.
Who knows what will really happen in terms of changes they'll make and what participation will look like in the future but I don't share your optimism. Here's a synopsis of where we're at (IMO)
  • changes were made for technical reasons and have resulted in usability/familiarity issues
  • the people that say they want feedback are more concerned with justifying why the change was made
  • the people that are collecting the feedback are not responsible for making the changes and have no idea if or when any changes will be made
  • there is a very viable alternative (i.e. the "other" forum) that most of us participate in anyways and it has a much larger following
One of the key reasons I've been vocal about the changes is because of the reaction of many of the heavy users of the forum. Having been in the tech field for 40 years, I've seen technical people get hung up on technology without considering user requirements and feedback and then trying to justify the experience because they're using the latest technology.... So, it's a bit of a pet peeve

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Who knows what will really happen in terms of changes they'll make and what participation will look like in the future but I don't share your optimism. Here's a synopsis of where we're at (IMO)
  • changes were made for technical reasons and have resulted in usability/familiarity issues
  • the people that say they want feedback are more concerned with justifying why the change was made
  • the people that are collecting the feedback are not responsible for making the changes and have no idea if or when any changes will be made
  • there is a very viable alternative (i.e. the "other" forum) that most of us participate in anyways and it has a much larger following
One of the key reasons I've been vocal about the changes is because of the reaction of many of the heavy users of the forum. Having been in the tech field for 40 years, I've seen technical people get hung up on technology without considering user requirements and feedback and then trying to justify the experience because they're using the latest technology.... So, it's a bit of a pet peeve
Well good thing we've opened up a thread to consider user requirements and feedback so we can best accommodate all of y'all as we work towards developing this site further. :)

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
As others have stated, the 'dark mode" setting is much easier on the eyes than the default white background. I have re-configured my default opening page so that only the forums I 'follow' come up. This saves me a lot of scrolling through forum listings I don't generally frequent. Even then though, that followed forum listing doesn't display the subject line of the most current thread in each followed forum (this is a quick way for me to see activity that interests me). I can customize in other ways, but have had to adapt my expectations while trying to re-create the old structure I was familiar with. The screen layout does have considerable wasted space on my screen with about 1/2 of my screen in the center filled with posted text etc. I did actually try adjusting my screen resolution to make it fit better, but the global change just doesn't mesh with other things I need to view. Posting area text should be a bigger screen component. I'm also finding it slow to jump to other topic areas. I've hit an error page roughly 1/4 of the time I choose from one of the drop down lists that appear after clicking on my avatar icon on the top right.

I want to give the administrators credit for continuing to respond while taking a beating. I don't currently like the new forum software either, but if the administrators actually implement many of the changes requested, it can't help but be better than it is now! I know there are other internet venues for FFR builders to share, but I'm prepared to adjust and stick around if the administrators will demonstrate an ability to respond with changes.

Administrators, Have you thought about listing feedback items received with a corresponding note about how you intend to address them?

Sean

101 - 120 of 120 Posts