Factory Five Racing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
PMs are now called conversation, the functionality is all still consistent, just a different name.

-Gerrit
I see you have a Canadian Fla=g as your Country of Origin.
Is there any chance you were also involved in the CDN company that designed the infamous Obama Care website????

·
Registered
11,798 Posts
I had no idea there were people that paid for any type of membership here. I remember years ago there existed "the clubhouse" but I thought it was long gone. So I take back my "whaddaya want for free" comment, but now the problem here is worse.

I wonder:

1. What was the purpose of the new format?
2. Does ANYBODY like it?

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I had no idea there were people that paid for any type of membership here. I remember years ago there existed "the clubhouse" but I thought it was long gone. So I take back my "whaddaya want for free" comment, but now the problem here is worse.

I wonder:

1. What was the purpose of the new format?
2. Does ANYBODY like it?
Membership does still retain benefits like the reduction of ads as well as a private location on the forum, all of that is still retained for those with premium membership currently. Once we build out the new system for enrollment you're welcome to give it a try if you're interested ;)

If you'd like me to breakdown the safety and security we've built up in the new software I can as well.
If you're not a fan why not let me know what I can do to make this site better for you. That's what this thread is here for. Your feedback :)

-Gerrit

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gerrit
I don't come here often as there is a lot more participation and pretty much the same information (or more) on the other forum. Nonetheless, what bothers me most here now is the basic format of the information being displayed at any point in time. Roughly speaking, 50% of the screen is overhead that I could care less about or only want to see if I go looking for it. So you need to reduce the amount of space that the following occupies: avatars, individual post response options (reply, quote, thumbs up, etc), bookmark button, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the whole right hand column most of which is ad space! I also do not want to see ads interleaved with posts or thread lists - it's really frickin' annoying. Increase the space taken by and hence the amount displayed of what everyone comes here for!
Thanks for listening, Steve

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
The screen size, and what takes up how much space is dependent mostly on the screen resolution and browser you have set up. For example this is a "Live" snippit of what I see

Almost 2/3rds of my screen is the text of your post. Try fiddling with your browser's screen size too see how responsive it can be :)

-Gerrit

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
483 Posts
Hey there, there are a few functionalities embedded beyond those listed. Searching is (as mentioned) still being built out, but you can also Bookmark responses that you like or Follow Threads you find interesting. I can explain the function of either if you want in the interim. We have built and developed this software custom from a new framework, we are listening to this feedback but sometimes development takes time. We appreciate your patience as we build this all out for you.

I can certainly check to see with the tech team on Monday if this data is recoverable for you.

I was not the one who merged these threads, and merging them out will not "undo" and separate the threads equally as they were before. I apologize for this.

The other member has left the conversation. If you wish to talk back to that member, you must begin a new conversation.

I hope all of this has clarified, if not continue with your questions and suggestions.

Gerrit
I still haven't heard from anybody regarding my questions

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I still haven't heard from anybody regarding my questions
Apologies for the delay, the functionality you are requesting is not currently built in. I have placed it in the queue for development and as it begins to be worked on you should see more information on it in future updates. The development cycle does take time, so I appreciate your patience while this is being worked on.

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
10,608 Posts
Here's my request....and what I feel EVERY forum should have. (no the old format didn't have this either) Immediately below the last post in every thread, put a "Wayne's Pub" link that takes you back to the main Wayne's Pub page.....so that every time you click on a thread to read a new post, you don't have to scroll all the way back up to the top to get to the "Wayne's Pub" link to get back to the main page.
There is such a link on this new forum format all the way to the bottom left of the page...and there was such a link on the old format as well.

·
Premium Member
10,608 Posts
Since I am a terrible keyboardist and consequently a serial editor of my posts...the edit link wasn't very obvious to me. It would make more sense to me if it were a "button", and perhaps placed with the other buttons at the bottom of the post...

·
Premium Member
10,608 Posts
Something to help navigating between the forums we frequent would be nice. Since there is no longer a hover dropdown "Forums" link at the top, navigating to a different area is clunky... Nobody likes clunky.

Perhaps in the right hand sidebar we could links to our own particular top 3 or 5 most frequently visited forum sections.

Most of us probably only frequent 2 or 3 of the different areas with regularity. I myself spend almost all of my forum browsing these days in Wayne's Pub and Off Topic.

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Since I am a terrible keyboardist and consequently a serial editor of my posts...the edit link wasn't very obvious to me. It would make more sense to me if it were a "button", and perhaps placed with the other buttons at the bottom of the post...
Hello,

Would you like something more obvious than being the first thing next to the timestamp? If so, what did you have in mind for the icon? Editing is limited to a 24 hour window, so this would be a thing that would disappear after that time frame.

Something to help navigating between the forums we frequent would be nice. Since there is no longer a hover dropdown "Forums" link at the top, navigating to a different area is clunky... Nobody likes clunky.

Perhaps in the right hand sidebar we could links to our own particular top 3 or 5 most frequently visited forum sections.

Most of us probably only frequent 2 or 3 of the different areas with regularity. I myself spend almost all of my forum browsing these days in Wayne's Pub and Off Topic.
We currently are not storing information like that on a user-to-user basis. Thing like "trending" forums or post are aggregated only by overall user interaction.

Hope that clarifies things :)

-Gerrit

·
Registered
11,798 Posts
Mr. Admin:

10,000+ post veteran here. I know these guys - over 100 local people in "real life" that I've gotten to know personally over the past 15 years. I can't even count how many events I've planned and championed - car cruises, beer runs, autocross events, drag racing, etc.

I also know hundreds here online. I know their writing style - who's a jerk, who's not - sometimes I know even their life's struggles. I've have had phone conversations with many of them, mailed packages, even visited with a few when I was in their local area.

Believe me when I tell you: this forum has entered hospice.

The good news is we have an alternative.

Best,

·
Not a waxer
11,553 Posts
Apologies for the delay, the functionality you are requesting is not currently built in. I have placed it in the queue for development and as it begins to be worked on you should see more information on it in future updates. The development cycle does take time, so I appreciate your patience while this is being worked on.

-Gerrit
Ah, now I understand...the forum redesign is being done in the General Motors style; i.e. develop the product to 50% then release it and let the consumer do the testing and troubleshooting. I know that school of thought well (worked in a GM engineering test lab for 12 years).

Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
The screen size, and what takes up how much space is dependent mostly on the screen resolution and browser you have set up. For example this is a "Live" snippit of what I see
View attachment 356292

Almost 2/3rds of my screen is the text of your post. Try fiddling with your browser's screen size too see how responsive it can be :)

-Gerrit
While your response is technically correct, you're avoiding the issue. Which frankly, I find odd as most of your posts actually seemed to convey you wanted to understand our problems and how WE think the site could be better. My screen resolution is set at a pretty standard 1920 x 1080. I always view the forum full screen with the browser set at 100%.
Maybe this will help you understand. Here is a screen crapture from your new improved site....

Here is a screen capture of the alternate site using the very same settings....

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
As others have noted, the posting area is fairly restricted to make way for a lot of blank space. I don't see ads, so maybe the space is there to accommodate advertisers for those that haven't paid a membership fee? I would also like to increase the readable posting area (width) to reduce the amount of scrolling and scanning between pages. Dark mode is a significant visual improvement on the white space I see otherwise. I appreciate that you're trying to be responsive Gerrit, but this is a significant transition for many (me included) who live by the motto " if it ain't broke, don't FIX it!". I acknowledge that there are technological and security issues that must be addressed, but it seems like some of the forum functionality has been lost as well as structure in terms of archived gallery items and build pages. If the only improvements you can point to are those that we were never truly aware of and can't see, it's going to be a tough sell. I'll continue to hold out hope you can salvage things here. This forum remains an important factual database, despite newer online resources that are available now as well.

Good luck!

Sean

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
As others have noted, the posting area is fairly restricted to make way for a lot of blank space. I don't see ads, so maybe the space is there to accommodate advertisers for those that haven't paid a membership fee? I would also like to increase the readable posting area (width) to reduce the amount of scrolling and scanning between pages. Dark mode is a significant visual improvement on the white space I see otherwise. I appreciate that you're trying to be responsive Gerrit, but this is a significant transition for many (me included) who live by the motto " if it ain't broke, don't FIX it!". I acknowledge that there are technological and security issues that must be addressed, but it seems like some of the forum functionality has been lost as well as structure in terms of archived gallery items and build pages. If the only improvements you can point to are those that we were never truly aware of and can't see, it's going to be a tough sell. I'll continue to hold out hope you can salvage things here. This forum remains an important factual database, despite newer online resources that are available now as well.

Good luck!

Sean
You're not wrong, which is why I'm here finding what functionality is a priority to build. But a lot of the security systems were broke. and we could have kept plugging the holes, but this software is better. We did not take decision lightly. You are right that premium members see reduced ads, and that the size of the window is optimized for browser size. My text portion is currently over 50% of my screen so try playing with your browser if it is an issue for you.

-Gerrit

·
Charter Member
3,059 Posts
Whew, go away for a couple months and BAM...

81 - 100 of 120 Posts