Factory Five Racing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I've been looking but can't find the answer. Is there a means to search within a specific thread? If I wanted to find a specific post within a thread, is there a way to search for it by keyword, user or other?

Sean
That is an update to search we are still waiting on rollout. Aside from using "CTRL F" on your keyboard to look for the word on the page once the thread is open. I do not have any other immediate solution.
-Philip

·
1,030 Posts
That is an update to search we are still waiting on rollout. Aside from using "CTRL F" on your keyboard to look for the word on the page once the thread is open. I do not have any other immediate solution.
-Philip
Gerrit, You say that you want feedback, well here is mine. I don’t like this, it is confusing with little apparent benefit. I think it sucks. Have been here since 2004 but I won’t be here much longer if you don’t figure out a way to fix this, and I’m probably not alone.

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
483 Posts
Are the images in a thread or a gallery? If you can help me understand what you mean I can probably get to the root of what the cause is and fix it.
-Philip
Phillip I had my photo gallery(s) set up in an order that could be viewed from oldest pictures to latest (newest) or back in reverse order from newest to oldest, now they appear a jumbled mess without any rime or reason, also I had everything linked so that when I commented on any thread my avatar could be clicked on and it would take you to my albums automatically where you could view my pictures in forward or reverse order as I described above, another bitch I have is the captions are clearly cut off and incomplete on many of my pictures, so what's up with that? Now my question is can you fix the albums so that their links, order and captions are restored?

I haven't fully explored the functionality of the your "upgraded" website so for the sake of not giving up just yet I'm going to keep track of your yes and no responses to both my requests and those of other members, I'm hoping that you guys can actually pull this off since I'm sure you guys had good intentions when you decided to "upgrade" what was working. One more thing, you guys need to keep in mind that most of the active forum members (Including myself) are old school and we like to keep things simple, so yes call us grouchy old guys but I for one am not interested in an overly complex website, so please consider who your users are.

Saul "AKA" Blown 5.0

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
This will give a good idea of what can and cannot be done with the forum software (listen carefully admin, as not all members will come back after the first month of bitching when the other forum is not set to change and has a larger, growing user base than this one. Forget about the discuss threads on the xenforo site that state otherwise, as they do not always tell the true tale.)

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
I'll add that the demise of the original cobraforum that this one replaced was a learning tool that you as the current owner/operator here needs to learn. Hopefully your investment by purchasing the site will not have gone to waste by not listening to he community as a whole. So far, your responses are pretty well canned and lost cut and pastes from other such discussions on other owned forums where this upgrade has occured. Do not fall into the mindset that we are just end users, as we are the lifeblood of the site.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Finally, if a thread and/or it's posts are started in a "premium members only" sub section, it needs to remain there, and not moved without the express permission of the people who posted on it. This is for privacy purposes, as not everyone wants their posts made public and searchable.

LEARN THIS LESSON NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suck it up, and move this thread back o that sub section for honest and open discussion without fear of reprisal.

·
Not a waxer
11,555 Posts
Leaving a conversation is how you delete a conversation. Storage is no longer capped so you dont need to leave unless you created a group PM you dont care to be a part of anymore.
-Philip
Admins,
You are still not understanding my question and situation.
1. I recieved a PM or as you refer to them a conversation from another member.
2. I want to respond to that message however can not because there is no "reply" button or option, only a message stating "This conversation is closed for new replies"

How do I make a reply?

Jeff

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Gerrit, You say that you want feedback, well here is mine. I don’t like this, it is confusing with little apparent benefit. I think it sucks. Have been here since 2004 but I won’t be here much longer if you don’t figure out a way to fix this, and I’m probably not alone.
Hey there, there are a few functionalities embedded beyond those listed. Searching is (as mentioned) still being built out, but you can also Bookmark responses that you like or Follow Threads you find interesting. I can explain the function of either if you want in the interim. We have built and developed this software custom from a new framework, we are listening to this feedback but sometimes development takes time. We appreciate your patience as we build this all out for you.

Phillip I had my photo gallery(s) set up in an order that could be viewed from oldest pictures to latest (newest) or back in reverse order from newest to oldest, now they appear a jumbled mess without any rime or reason, also I had everything linked so that when I commented on any thread my avatar could be clicked on and it would take you to my albums automatically where you could view my pictures in forward or reverse order as I described above, another bitch I have is the captions are clearly cut off and incomplete on many of my pictures, so what's up with that? Now my question is can you fix the albums so that their links, order and captions are restored?

I haven't fully explored the functionality of the your "upgraded" website so for the sake of not giving up just yet I'm going to keep track of your yes and no responses to both my requests and those of other members, I'm hoping that you guys can actually pull this off since I'm sure you guys had good intentions when you decided to "upgrade" what was working. One more thing, you guys need to keep in mind that most of the active forum members (Including myself) are old school and we like to keep things simple, so yes call us grouchy old guys but I for one am not interested in an overly complex website, so please consider who your users are.

Saul "AKA" Blown 5.0
I can certainly check to see with the tech team on Monday if this data is recoverable for you.

Finally, if a thread and/or it's posts are started in a "premium members only" sub section, it needs to remain there, and not moved without the express permission of the people who posted on it. This is for privacy purposes, as not everyone wants their posts made public and searchable.

LEARN THIS LESSON NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suck it up, and move this thread back o that sub section for honest and open discussion without fear of reprisal.
I was not the one who merged these threads, and merging them out will not "undo" and separate the threads equally as they were before. I apologize for this.

Admins,
You are still not understanding my question and situation.
1. I recieved a PM or as you refer to them a conversation from another member.
2. I want to respond to that message however can not because there is no "reply" button or option, only a message stating "This conversation is closed for new replies"

How do I make a reply?

Jeff
The other member has left the conversation. If you wish to talk back to that member, you must begin a new conversation.

I hope all of this has clarified, if not continue with your questions and suggestions.

Gerrit

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
I was not the one who merged these threads, and merging them out will not "undo" and separate the threads equally as they were before. I apologize for this.
Then move the entire thread back to the "premium members only" forum to restore the sanctity of the original thread and it's participants.

The other member has left the conversation. If you wish to talk back to that member, you must begin a new conversation.

I hope all of this has clarified, if not continue with your questions and suggestions.

Gerrit
So, if I am reading this correctly, you have to be logged in and online for a PM "conversation" to remain active? When someone leaves the forum for the evening, any other responses are not allowed because they are no longer online?

·
1,030 Posts
This still sucks but at least I got 4 Trophys.

·
Premium Member
16,154 Posts

Gerrit
Gerrit, that makes no sense. I have PM's going back to 2007 and none of them are showing that the other person has "left" the conversation. They all still show 2 people in the conversation. I can still reply to them all (i.e. the Reply button is active). Yes, there is a "Leave" button now but there was not in the old format. So whatever happened to Jeff's PM's is the result of your transition and not him. Why don't you take responsibility and fix it for him.

·
Premium Member
16,154 Posts
In Your first post of this thread you said:

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.
A Consistent Experience Across All Devices - No it isn't. In fact I can no longer read the forum in Explorer 11 on Windows 7 because all the icons for the buttons in all the post are all messed up showing up as shadows that are 100 times there normal size.

Speed and Reliability Are Key - Great, the post show up faster but it takes more clicks to get anywhere. I'll give you an example: I go into a thread and there have been 4 new posts since the last time I was there and the last 2 post kicked it to a new page. So it takes me to the last post on the last page so I see only the 2 posts on that page. If I want to see if there were other posts since the last time I was there I now have to go back a page and then scroll all the way to the bottom. If the posts were in order from last to first then when I jumped to the next page the additional 2 posts would be at the top rather than making me scroll to the bottom.

It also isn't faster when you use up 1/3 of the page for the banner to the right. I have to scroll further to see each post and once I have scrolled past the first 3-4 posts it is just wasted white space. Which takes us back to the "Consistent Experience" comment since that crap and the wasted space isn't shown on my Android phone.

New Homepage Experience - Sounds more like something you did to try and get more traffic. Nothing is to my benefit since I never go to my home page. If I do go there why would I want you to decide where you think I should go. People come here to get answers to questions. Funny enough though that the top 3 "Trending Discussions" on my home page right now are how bad the forum is now, how people are going to leave as a result and how to get it back to the old format! :rolleyes:

Search -
Well look at that, you actually fixed something that people have been complaining about for a while now. Haven't used it enough yet to say how good it is.

I still haven't found a way to delete a post??

And your "Show sensitive and/or mature content. " option doesn't work very well. Mine is not checked and yet it is blocking some of the content in Wayne's Pub. And it should not be active at all in Wayne's Pub since that was the whole reason the pub was created. Nothing in the rest of the forum should require this setting since it is prohibited by the BOR's.

·
Premium Member
16,154 Posts
And as both I and Mr. Mustang have already stated, please move the original thread back to the Wayne's Pub. If need be move the whole thread but you had no right to move private posts into the public part of the forum.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
And as both I and Mr. Mustang have already stated, please move the original thread back to the Wayne's Pub. If need be move the whole thread but you had no right to move private posts into the public part of the forum.
And get rid of the default country flags that show up on each post. It is not anyones business where I am when I am making my posts.

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
So, if I am reading this correctly, you have to be logged in and online for a PM "conversation" to remain active? When someone leaves the forum for the evening, any other responses are not allowed because they are no longer online?
Not quite. When you leave the conversation you remove the conversation. If you are in a conversation you can talk to all members actively participating in it. If the other participants exit, then there is no one to have a conversation with. Hope that clarifies. If this does not match the error you're having, please send us a screenshot either here or in a conversation to explain further.

And get rid of the default country flags that show up on each post. It is not anyones business where I am when I am making my posts.
That can be set up in your profile settings and securities.
Let me know if you have any questions,

Gerrit

·
Registered
346 Posts
This is correct, there is no current way to set the view of the forum to any mode beyond switching it from light or dark mode.

If you have any questions or requests on this let us know here or in the feedback thread so we can best address them.

-Gerrit
Gerrit, I really hope you listen to the users here. The experts you mentioned, used for the redesign have no idea about marketing. It would have made more sense to keep the design and add more tools. These major redesigns always shake up the flow of information on these forums. If we lose key members many will follow them to other forums. I have great eyesight and work with computers daily and find this sight not easy on the eyes. Everything just seems to run together.

·
Not a waxer
11,555 Posts
Search - Well look at that, you actually fixed something that people have been complaining about for a while now. Haven't used it enough yet to say how good it is.
Administrators,
I've tried it a bit and unless I'm missing it it appears that we can on;y enter a search term in the hard to find dark box on the home page. I do not see an option for an advanced search which would allow searching by a specific user or within a subforum or by a date range. Is this advanced search option out there somewhere and I'm just not finding it? The old format had an option at the top of the page to do a forum specific Google search which was useful but that seems to be gone now. Is it hiding on the pages somewhere? If not can it be added? Another thing that I used to find useful was the abilityto be able to go to a user's profile and find all posts by that user &/or all posts started by that user. Also lacking from user profiles is their location information, etc.which was often helpful. Again, is this out there somewhere and I'm just not finding it?

You've said that speed and reliability are key and I'm sure that from where you're sitting that is true however from where we the users (a large percentage of us are loooooong term users; check join dates and look at how many go back to when the forum was founded in 2002) are sitting access to information is key. This forum is arguably the most extensive resource for information related to Factory Five Racing vehicles on the web but these most recent changes are making it much more difficult to access. Some of that information is available elsewhere---and we all know where I'm talking about---but not all of it and definitely not with the depth of knowledge and detail that has historically been on this site.

A final thought to the Admins and Owners; I think what you are failing to realize is this is primarily a technical site and not a social site. Our wants and preferences are much different. I hope you are able and willing to turn some of this around but sadly I must say that I'm not optimistic we'll see it happen. Prove me wrong...PLEASE!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
16,154 Posts
Is this advanced search option out there somewhere and I'm just not finding it?
Hi Jeff, I found it under the 3 dot menu at the upper right.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts