Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the past few months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Bookmarks
Now you can bookmark your favorite discussions! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform, Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience, your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello!
I will be here today as we begin to unpack from the move to this new software update. You may have a lot of questions or comments, or may need help orienting yourself to some of the things that look different around here. I hope I can help with that orienteering, and I hope I can help you feel comfortable navigating around.

My name is Gerrit, and helping people orient themselves as long as I can remember. I was born in Europe, raised throughout parts of the US, and now am in Canada with the Vertical Scope H
Q. Orienteering has been something I’ve done for most of my life, and was both the first merit badge earned, and the first one I taught within the Boy Scouts (yes I did that whole thing too). Quickly and accurately finding my way around is such a cornerstone of my life that my first tattoo naturally had to be a compass to help me navigate. (Though I did leave it up to the artist to make it less basic that something that looked like it’d need some sort of seasonal coffee drink) and it is all of these skills that I hope to bring here to you now.

Orienteering is never an easy skill, but with me as your guide through the site I hope that we can explore this brave new look for the site together. I won’t always have an immediate answer to your question, but I will work to find you the most accurate information together.

-Gerrit

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site. You can also see our FAQs here!

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!

I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community, it’s much easier on the eyes. What is your favorite feature?

I will be here to answer questions and to help you navigate, as needed.

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
WTF? This is horrible. Dark mode is better but not a fan so far.

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WTF? This is horrible.
Please see this post for more info.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
16,154 Posts
WTF? This is horrible. Dark mode is better but not a fan so far.
There was a mutiny the last time changes were made here but apparently someone thinks it was a good idea to change it again. Brilliant!

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
21,369 Posts
Scroll all the way down to the bottom and find the dropdown box in the left hand corner of the bottom band just above all of the fine print. Click on it to open "Quick Style Chooser" then select FFCars.com (Classic).
I see a dropdown box that lets me choose from all the different forums but not from "Quick Style Chooser" Is there another dropdown that's hidden from me? Can someone take a screen shot of it?

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
Not as easy to navigate and harder to get to the last post of an updated thread. Two clicks instead of one.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,128 Posts
I was kicked off last Friday. Now I see I can post again. But several posts from while I was kicked off show up for me in a different color w/ a note that says I can see it but no one else can. Overall it is certainly different. I will give it a week of use before deciding if it's better or not.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
12,785 Posts
I was kicked off last Friday. Now I see I can post again. But several posts from while I was kicked off show up for me in a different color w/ a note that says I can see it but no one else can. Overall it is certainly different. I will give it a week of use before deciding if it's better or not.
Same here.....but I also had to reset my password and add a new avatar

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,137 Posts
Also trying to find the view change. Not anything on the bottom

·
Not a waxer
11,554 Posts
I wrote up the Making the new site look old instructions last time they tried to make the site "better" back in 2016. From what I can see there doesn't appear to be a way to get back to what we were familiar with this latest "upgrade".

I'll poke around later when I have more time but if this is how it's going to stay it may just be time for me to say goodbye and I'll treat this site like I do Club Cobra and only log in a couple times a year. Too bad if that's the case...

Jeff

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I have not signed on for a couple of weeks and find myself in alien territory. I used the classic mode on the previous website because the new one at that time sucked. This seems to be even worse. I worked with website builders for a decade when I was working and was chilled by the phrase such as making it a more "engaging experience". This forum is a bunch of car guys discussing cars, politics, etc. I don't need to be more engaged. Is the intent to drive to older website users off ffcars.com?

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not as easy to navigate and harder to get to the last post of an updated thread. Two clicks instead of one.
Depending on where you click on a thread it may navigate you to a unique area:

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.
If you would like myself or another moderator to look into this, it sounds like these may have been set for moderation.

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions or questions.

-Gerrit

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wrote up the Making the new site look old instructions last time they tried to make the site "better" back in 2016. From what I can see there doesn't appear to be a way to get back to what we were familiar with this latest "upgrade".

I'll poke around later when I have more time but if this is how it's going to stay it may just be time for me to say goodbye and I'll treat this site like I do Club Cobra and only log in a couple times a year. Too bad if that's the case...

Jeff
This is correct, there is no current way to set the view of the forum to any mode beyond switching it from light or dark mode.

If you have any questions or requests on this let us know here or in the feedback thread so we can best address them.

-Gerrit

·
Not a waxer
11,554 Posts
...This seems to be even worse. I worked with website builders for a decade when I was working and was chilled by the phrase such as making it a more "engaging experience". This forum is a bunch of car guys discussing cars, politics, etc. I don't need to be more engaged. Is the intent to drive to older website users off ffcars.com?
It may not be the intent but could well be what happens. What I've seen so far seems very unfamiliar and not at all engaging for those of us who have been using the site since 2002. If we leave the traffic drops and the owners will feel that in the ad revenue which in turn could spell the end. But it will be "more engaging" while it sinks so there's that!

Jeff

·
Registered
392 Posts
This is correct, there is no current way to set the view of the forum to any mode beyond switching it from light or dark mode.

If you have any questions or requests on this let us know here or in the feedback thread so we can best address them.

-Gerrit
any way to get posts on a given thread to list in reverse order, so that the latest replies are at the top and not on the last page? ?

·
Super Moderator
29,270 Posts
Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
70 Posts
OK, I've been fussing about the changes for the last 24 hours I have to give the administrator thanks for listening and responding to what I and others have requested. You want to see it look almost like the main page we were all so used to seeing? Scroll all the way down to the bottom and find the dropdown box in the left hand corner of the bottom band just above all of the fine print. Click on it to open "Quick Style Chooser" then select FFCars.com (Classic). Now after opening the website on the home page go to "Active Topics" in the gray bar just down below the header (from left to right it reads: Home---Forums---Active Topics---Gallery---etc.) and click it. You'll find that it appears almost exactly like the previous main page that we're used to and they have now set it to display the last 100 active topics.

Jeff
I'm not usually this technically inept, but I can't find the drop down menu you mentioned. Also, the new site design is completely obscure to me and not worth the effort to decipher. See you guys on the other forum. Keith

·
Administrator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
any way to get posts on a given thread to list in reverse order, so that the latest replies are at the top and not on the last page? ?
I can certainly work to build this function out, but right now, no this is not an option.

I'm not usually this technically inept, but I can't find the drop down menu you mentioned. Also, the new site design is completely obscure to me and not worth the effort to decipher. See you guys on the other forum. Keith
That is mostly because this is an old thread, only made active with the recent move. As noted in Post #45, there currently is no way to make this software version look like the old as they are operating on two opposite foundational pieces.

-Gerrit

1 - 20 of 120 Posts