Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi –
I am changing over my crate motor to a clockwise water pump, and a mechanical fuel pump eccentric. I will not be running a heater in my car so I would like to remove the heater hose fittings, and replace them with a plug of some type. I’m sure others here have done this, so I am looking for some advice.

1. What is the best way to remove the stock hose fittings? I have mauled one pretty good and it does not seem to be going anywhere! Should I use heat? Do I need to drill them out?

2. What should I plug the holes with? Tap for screw in fittings? Can I use a freeze plug with some sealant?

If you did this mod, please let me know what worked for you.

Thanks! Scott

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
I would run a heater. It will keep you married or help get you married. If deleting the heat, cap the intake but keep the bypass and cap or tap the other fitting. I am always amazed that anyone north of Tampa would not have a heater, free feel good on a fall night. Cheers Richard.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
You'll need the one fitting which connects to the thermostat housing. Without it no water will circulate through the block when the thermostat is closed.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have a good picture of a waterpump set-up for no heat. Thanks

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
no heater on mine...Sunny San Diego :D .

rock solid temps, no issues with overheating. Mustang heater bypass hose ($6 at Autozone) to the thermo housing and a cap for lower line.

don't mind the dirt on my motor...

HTH

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Like mentioned you need to keep one fitting in the pump for the by pass hose. It goes from the t stat housing to the water pump. Sometimes they will come out useing a large easy out or vise grips to break it loose and twist out with the help of a hammer. On one I had to cut the tube off flush with pump housing then use a hack saw blade to cut a slit the lenth of the tube remaining in the pump.Use needle nose vise grips to twist out the remainder of the slit tube. Once done tap with a pipe tap and plug. Some have used freeze plug or hose cap to block off.

·
Charter Member
96 Posts
If you can get the tube out of the pump with it mounted to the engine you're in good shape. We used a freeze plug so we would not have to worry about taking the pump off and cleaning metal shavings out after taping. A 3/4 inch freeze plug fits perfect in the lower hole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.