Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my engine assembled and realized the donor water pump intake is on the PS. Will this work with the corrugated tubing or do I need to replace it with one off the DS? Also, will a 45 degree water neck work or should I be looking for a 90 degree one?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could make the crossover but in my opinion (for what that's worth) that would be kind of cheesed up so I'd change to a pump with the port on the drivers side.

Jeff
so i'd need to change the timing cover as well, eh? looks like there's a post on the DS on the timing cover that would interfere with the pump intake on the DS.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
No you do not need to change the timing cover. Get an early 90's Mustang WP and you're fine

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No you do not need to change the timing cover. Get an early 90's Mustang WP and you're fine
This nub won't get in the way? Sticks out about an inch

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think that is the timing pointer and it should not interfere. If it does you can cut, grind it off.
I would buy an Edelbrock brand, if available.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,171 Posts
That is an early Ford timing cover with the cast in timing pointer. It probably has the front mounted dipstick hole as well (on passenger side). You have a couple of options. Keep the cover and pump and run the hose from passenger side to driver's side (I've seen people make really nice stainless tubes with just rubber end sleeves) or update the timing cover to use the driver's side inlet water pump.

You can get driver's side inlet pumps in standard and reverse rotation, so they will work with whatever accessory drive you are planning.

As for the thermostat housing it depends upon your accessory drive routing. If going old-school with V-belt pulleys you can probably use the 45-degree neck. However, if you are going serpentine (OE or like March Performance, etc.) you'll most likely need to use a 90-degree neck.

HTH!
Mark

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. engine is a 1966 K code 289 HiPo. Turns out that the water pump and timing cover depth is unique to this engine code. I'm going to have to do more research to avoid having alignment issues with my pulleys. Anyone make the conversion from PS water pump inlet to DS on a K code 289 who might have some insight? Talked to a customer service rep at Jegs who thinks it can be done, but will need to replace not only the cover, pump, but also the balancer.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Chewy

Is that a special or historically significant engine?

Did you rebuild it to original or upgrade it?

Just curious. Maybe it came out of a Shelby Mustang? I do not know much but hear the guys on TV talking about K code engines and how important they are.

Maybe it's only significant if the car is attached to it.

Jason

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chewy

Is that a special or historically significant engine?

Did you rebuild it to original or upgrade it?

Just curious. Maybe it came out of a Shelby Mustang? I do not know much but hear the guys on TV talking about K code engines and how important they are.

Maybe it's only significant if the car is attached to it.

Jason
Got this motor from a friend. From what I understand, it's a hard to find block. It'll be nice having a vintage engine with this car

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Maybe if it was a Shelby engine you might be able to find the history. Even if it is a mustang you may be able to track it.

Pretty awesome!!

Is it only the block left? Did you put everything else new? Do you have the heads?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Check with these people.
I do not know their depth of knowledge, but they sell a lot of early Mustang stuff.
The heads, harmonic balance, and distributor are diff on the K code engine. Also came with cast iron header shaped exhaust, diff cam and solid lifters.
Not for sure, but do not think the block is difference.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK, for those following, I found some more information. The k code stock water pump was shallower then some of the others (5.16" vs 5.42"). To make up for this length the K code engine also had a slightly thicker timing cover (2.5" vs 2.1"). I think I should be OK as long as my timing cover and water pump combo depth matches the original depth in order to keep my pulleys in alignment.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
further investigation shows that while swapping out a timing cover and water pump to non-k code parts, it would be possible to flip the water pump inlet from PS to DS. however, the HiPo balancer is a thicker balancer and meant to have timing pointer at 2o'clock. would it be easier to turn the radiator around so that the outflow is at the PS bottom and I can run the top across to the DS? or should I look for a radiator w/ both intake/output on the PS? so the swap is feasible, but not convenient. any thoughts?

·
Official OLD GUY
3,747 Posts
IF you really want to keep this engine as original as possible, either make up or buy the tubes you will need to transition the water line to opposite sides - OR - send your radiator out and have the inlet / outlet relocated to opposite sides. Personally, I'd go with the tubes (Backdraft Cobras are reversed from ours and work fine). Some nice polished aluminum would really stand out and look cool . . .

Doc

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IF you really want to keep this engine as original as possible, either make up or buy the tubes you will need to transition the water line to opposite sides - OR - send your radiator out and have the inlet / outlet relocated to opposite sides. Personally, I'd go with the tubes (Backdraft Cobras are reversed from ours and work fine). Some nice polished aluminum would really stand out and look cool . . .

Doc
thanks doc
the more I think about it, the more i'll likely do a cross over tube, bringing the DS radiator outlet to the PS water pump intake.
the other thought was maybe swapping out radiators to a intake/output passenger side one like the one in the link.
front battery box might get in the way of this idea however.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts