Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you guys help me out, I love the look of the deep dish wheels and I also relly want them wrapped in some 315's.

Could you post some pics of your wheels, size, backspacing, manufacture, etc as well as the specs of your rear end setup.

From what ive read I believe I can use just about any year 8.8 axle housing, I just need the Fox length axles. I also want to go five lug disk brakes.

If I purchase Fox length 5 lug axles can I just swap those in throw on some sn95 disk brakes? I was planning on picking the brakes up at a salvage yard. Would I need to modify those brakes any? Will 315's fit with that setup?

When going with the deep dish wheels is it necessary to shorten the axle housing? Or will doing that just give you more of a deep dish look?

BTW ill be going with a 3-link setup. Sorry for all the questions, im just trying to get as much info together before I start the build that way ill have all my ducks in a row. Hopefully making the build a little bit smoother.

Thanks a bunch
Brandon

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,204 Posts
Brandon,
Here's my front Halibrand chrome CobraIII deep lip with 275/40/17's. The rears are 315/10.5/35's and even deeper.

Both wheels before tires and spinners:

Greg

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
295/50 BF GR mounted on Trigo's with 8.8 narrowed to 54.25" wide. 3 link set-up. I used a 2004 GT rearend that when it was narrowed 8 inches, caused the break assembly to be in the way of the shock mount. I moved the shock location. If I had planned ahead a bit, I would have flipped the brake mounting flange 180 degrees when it was cut during the narrowing process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, thanks for the awesome pics, they look great! I love those cobra III's.

Greg, did you have to make any modifications to the '91 axle? What did you use for your 5 lug conversion?

thanks again guys for the awesome pics!

Brandon

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
When you narrow and overhaul an 8.8 you will also be be narrowing a new set of Moser axles that must be splinded. SN 95 rear disks can be used when you acquire a set of brackets from Richard Oben. The quad brackets will have to be moved and reversed right to left.

Add up the above, include time scratching your head and running back and forth from the axle shop. Pay great attention that the ends are rewelded absolutely square.

You will get the desirable deep dish rear wheel appearance of original Comp and SC Cobras. I did all the above in 1997 and just accepted the harsh ride until I took a ride in Mark Jones MK II IRS FFR in 2002.

The $1950 IRS option and a useable T-bird IRS assembly with disk brakes may not cost any more than a 3 link narrowed axle and vented disk brakes. You will enjoy the ride and resale value of IRS.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,204 Posts
Brandon,

I made no mods to the axle. I used Richard Oben's 5-lug axle conversion with his rear brakes and brackets. No problems with install or fittment of the rims/tires on the MKIII and a Fox width rear end.

Good Luck,
Greg

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,735 Posts
Kouros:

I like to look! What is the width of the rear axle and what is the rear wheel offset.

Did you have to modify the frame?

Rick

·
Senior Charter Member
568 Posts
I'm using the Halibrand Cobra III's with 315's on the rear. I have the stock 8.8 rear end from Ford Racing and the axles and brakes from Richard. Nothing's rubbing and it all went together without any modifications.

Joe

·
1,568 Posts
Team IIIs with pin drive IRS setup. Richard Oben provided the specs on the backspacing and rim size to meet my needs.

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Redfish,
Could I bother you for the Paint code on the car pictured above?
Thanks!
Ben

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Damn, my two favorites are Larry Johnson and CWood. Your cars are so awesome!!

Here are my deep dish rims

15x14

·
Charter Member
1,317 Posts
Here is a picture of my PS Engineering Pin Drive Wheels with 315/35/17's in the rear and 275/40/17's in the front.

·
Charter Member
6,152 Posts
snake boy, what color is that? It looks awesome.

2fast, your wheels are almost square!!!

·
Charter Member
1,317 Posts
Trevor

The color is Mini Cooper LT Electric Blue. Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts