Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Engimuneer Extraordinaire
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"There is no such thing as too much power blah blah blah"... Psyche

I've created an excel sheet that will let you know whether you can break traction based on the following (and lots more):
Vehicle & driver weight
Tire diameter
Engine torque curve
Weight bias

The initial numbers I have in there are pretty good for your standard FFR & shouldn't take to much adjusting to find your application. The sheet was designed for our race team & this is the first time I've ever posted it. There will be some updates for it at a later time but I'm hoping at least some of you will enjoy it. Please give me some feedback on it too

<a href="http://putstuff.putfile.com/66151/7583130">Download Cobra_Wheel_Torque_Post.xls</

[ April 06, 2007, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: JhnBrackett ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
7,022 Posts
OK got it. WOW what a spreedsheet.

I am making 356RWHP and that is more than enough to break the rears loose in 1,2, and 3 havn't tried fourth and fifth yet.

john

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
nvm, I should read the entire post before I respond. Someone hand me a

·
Junior Charter Member
252 Posts
The orange torque at flywheel cells are locked and password protected.

·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hind Sight & ThomasW: Did the file not download for you?

gbranham: beats me, Putfile.com is free so I use it

znaut: I just unlocked those cells that were messed up so hopefully it'll work meow.

·
557 Posts
nice peice of work. The gearing is all wrong for my t-56 but I like it never the less.

Eric.

*edit* of course this is aimed at a 302 but the numbers still work.

[ April 06, 2007, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Chumpy ]

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Originally posted by JhnBrackett:
"There is no such thing as too much power blah blah blah"... Psyche

I've created an excel sheet that will let you know whether you can break traction based on the following (and lots more):
Vehicle & driver weight
Tire diameter
Engine torque curve
Weight bias

The initial numbers I have in there are pretty good for your standard FFR & shouldn't take to much adjusting to find your application. The sheet was designed for our race team & this is the first time I've ever posted it. There will be some updates for it at a later time but I'm hoping at least some of you will enjoy it. Please give me some feedback on it too

Download Cobra_Wheel_Torque_Post.xls
I did this about a year back. I just calculated in terms of max torque. Your spreadsheet is a lot more pretty. I used real-life monitor data from an FFR that showed full weight transfer in 1st and .7G acceleration in second. However recently, Gordon was telling me about a customer with 600 HP or so in an IRS car and he lifts the front wheels on the shift to second with street tires.

Mike

·
6,559 Posts
You lost me in the spreadsheet just after the cell "Wheel Torque Calculator"

·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the racecar, we strive for not being able to break torque above 6000RPM in 1st so that's why I developed the sheet. I want to build my FFR for street & occasional AutoX usage, so figured I could use my mathematical skills towards the new project too.

·
1,672 Posts
Great spread sheet.

Gives insight into a bunch of tradeoffs.

Any chance you could unlock the gearings cells - I am runnning a TKO-600 road race transmisions?

Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chucktoo: your wish is my command, download the latest version

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
I like the "blah, blah, blah. That's why I spend so much time here.
blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah,blah,blah,blah

·
8,269 Posts
Nice spreadsheet. Thanks for taking the effort to put that together and for posting the link.

I think it's a little conservative for a well set up car at the track though. I have G-Tech data that shows well over 1G through 1st gear and 0.8G or so through 2nd on street radials. That was on a well prepared track and I was able to go WOT through 1st gear so the 1G+ is not currently traction limited, with more gear or more power that should improve. On the street your numbers are probably pretty close. I'll see if I can tweak your numbers to be consistent with the measured data I have. I have rear wheel dyno data for the car as well as quite a bit of G-Tech data.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts