Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's too long between getting a kit and being able to brag about go-karting so I'm starting a new stage called "Wagon stage". It's when you get the car on four wheels and rolling around.

Here's my progress after about 80 hours of work over the last 2 weeks. I am pushing hard to get it far enough to turn the body over to Ken Pike by July 2nd. Then, I'll pull the engine and finish up the footboxes and wiring. All of the aluminum will be black powdercoated with aluminum rivets like the F panels that you see in the photos.

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
That engine looks pretty wicked. Black panels with aluminum rivets eh...???

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,152 Posts
Jester,

Looks great! I assume you are going to pull the motor out to rivet the panels. Once was enough for my nerves!

Good luck,
Greg

·
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, this is a mock up to modify the footboxes and then out it comes again. I have a 20 foot beam with a trolley and hoist in my garage so I can lift the engine and slide it sideways away from the car. I put the beam in just for this build because I knew I would put the engine in at least twice. It worked great pulling the engine from the donor too.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
If this is a MK III, You should think about FF Metal's foot boxes. Much more room than the standard foot boxes, and they also come with a .090 floor for both the left and right sides. Mine required very minimal trimming, and actually fit better than the FFR supplied sheet metal. John

·
Junior Charter Member
791 Posts
Wow, I love those Webers, quit teasing me!!! Again the bar goes up, damn!
You've gotta post a sound clip when you fire that thing up.
Wagons HOOOOO Jon

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Very nice work.
Are your black panels anodized or painted? Are you doing all the aluminum black?
Can you post a pic of your hoist set-up? I am thinking about this type set-up in my shop and could use some ideas.

Keep this pics coming

·
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt,
I am doing all the visible sheet metal in black powdercoat to make it disappear into the background and highlight the engine even further.

I can post some of my trolley pics tonight but it's basically this:

hanging from a 4 inch wide beam and my chain hoist hooked into the trolley. I lagged the beam into an existing wood beam that is running across my garage in the right spot. Ii's one of those "why didn't I do this a long time ago" deals. A lot of people that come to see the Cobra ask about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts