Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this fix in the archives. I am sure quite a few have taken the advice. What a great and strait forward repair. Thxs Wade.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
What is the fix????

Lee
the door latches have a piece that is press-fit holding the mechanism together. The "wade mod" uses a short carriage bolt and nut to hold things together to prevent the latch mechanism from falling apart. Kleiner also recommends removal of one of the springs, but I can't recall which one at this moment.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Junior Charter Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5/16 carriage bolt with nyloc nut. Grind down the carriage bolt head to about 1/16+ to help sit flush on door. It is now solid and no rattling or flimsy feel. I left bith springs in and seems fine so far.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the link Chewy...awesome...I did a bit of Rube Goldberg repair on mine by peening the retaining piece for a tighter interference fit...works so far, but doomed for failure...next time it fails I'll do the carriage bolt repair. I also purchased the Breeze "Bear Claw" latches...but way too much scary modification required. They are on the shelf. Anyone want?

·
Not a waxer
12,066 Posts
5/16 carriage bolt with nyloc nut. Grind down the carriage bolt head to about 1/16+ to help sit flush on door.
Even better, use a 5/16" elevator bolt and you won't have to grind the head.

Kitchen utensil Office supplies Nickel Tool Household hardware

Kleiner also recommends removal of one of the springs, but I can't recall which one at this moment.
Remove the little one that's attached to the lever with hooks on both ends but leave the one that's behind the plunger.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts