Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say, I just installed my sway bar last night. What a nice setup. Craig, You really put a lot of thought into this one. I couldn't be happier with the fit and quality.
Paul

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,608 Posts
Paul, did you install the swaybars after the fact? And did you put in both front and Rear. I don't have any and was wondering if it's possible to add them at a later date.

·
1,569 Posts
Ditto. The rear is a piece of cake, especially if you have a 90 degree drill to punch the holes through the trunk.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug,

It took me about 4 hours to do the rear on my completed car solo. Granted it would have gone faster if I had someone to help with lowering and raising the tank and the filler tube nuts (I am lucky I have long arms to reach the screw at the lemans cap and the nut on the inside of the body at the same time). If you do it before the tank goes on you will save that step. It's not so bad to drop the tank after if you planed for it during your assembly. Just keep in mind you will need to drop the tank when you are running hoses and doing the wiring. The hardest part was having to drain 3/4 full fuel tank.
My front bar is on back order. I imagine that would also be also some what easier without the body on because you need to remove the tow hooks and weld the brackets on. It still seems pretty easy enough after the fact.

·
3,886 Posts
Doug,
Yes, it's quite doable to add them later in a built car.
I just installed front and rear bars on a Mark I pin-drive IRS car. I used the new VPM Mark III rear bar that runs through the triangle just behind the cockpit, since I didn't want to relocate my brake calipers, and also my under-trunk battery box was in the way of the original VPM rear bar.

I did have to move my brake hardlines slightly, since I had put them right in the way of the bar, but that was no big deal: I didn't even have to disconnect them and rebleed. I did need to weld tabs onto the LCAs, but I believe that the kit is bolt-on for a non-pindrive LCA.
More photos here:
http://members5.clubphoto.com/forrest370349/3607654/guest.phtml
The performance improvement is tremendous--I highly recommend VPM swaybars. The kit and hardware are first-rate, as is customer support. Thanks, guys!

Forrest

[ November 27, 2005, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: forrest1 ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,608 Posts
Paul, Forrest,

Thanks for the info. I'll put them on my Christmas list and see if Santa brings them.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I put the same bar as Forrest on my car after completion with no problems. The VPM products are very well though out and install as they say it should. Yes it is bolt on for the non pin drive control arms.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
944 Posts
Paul,
I'm glad you liked the IRS bar. Were sorry the front bar wasn't in stock. We do try to keep these bars in stock, but we now have 6 different bars available and we don't always predict sales correctly. Thanks for your patience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts