Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back on the road after my anual winter mods. I've pretty much run out of HP mods with my current block so I decided to work more on the cars handling. This year I added Forte's tubular front LCA's and a VPM front sway bar(Already have the rear 3-link VPM bar). I'm amazed at the improvement in the car's manners and overall handling. Very high quality parts from both vendors. These should be a very high priority if any of you are running out of things to do for your car.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Cobramd,

You've been around long enough to know the drill!?

How about it?

Cheers,

Sean

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,427 Posts
pics!!!

I'm thinking about this.

·
Charter Member
117 Posts
acryoms (sp) fortes know that one, lca lower control arm, you got me on the VPM acryom or company name, I have mustang lower control arms, I dont see a way to sway bar it without somthing realy special, is there something that makes it possible because of the tube LCA. I wanted to do a sway bar in the front but it was suggested that I wouldnt realy need one unless I was going to race the car hard, there were some other problems but it was a long time ago and I dont recall the disadvantages, maybe ride factor, maybe it was already stiff enough it didnt need it.

·
Charter Member
117 Posts
tom, Xybram,
thanks for the information, think I will look into the miata bar for the front.

I asked a high school senior (honor student) that works for me, on the spelling acryoms and we didnt come up with somthing that looked good, so I googled and to said, do you mean, and I used it, spell check da.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the lack of Pics I've been too into driving since the weather broke around here. I'll try to get some tomorrow.
Dan VPM will include the hardware to mount to the Donor LCA's which is what I was planning on doing then I got to thinking that I really didn't want those old monsters in my front end any more not to mention they were one of the few donor parts still left on my car. It really does make a difference even on the street. As for ride comfort I was able to remove my 550# springs from the front and go back to 450#ers which has improved the ride quality.

·
Charter Member
117 Posts
my kit is older shiped dec 1999 worked on it till my job went away then did some other things started a business 3 years ago and just got back on it in dec. mine was shiped with small block springs I dont know which lbs that would be off hand, but changing the weight makes sence to me, I just know I always thought there should be a sway bar on the front, I dont think there is a car made in the last two and half decades that dont have one up there.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dan Our cars are the same age. The small block springs are 450#/" I really think it's best to have front and back bars. About 3 yrs ago I put on a rear bar and had some oversteere issues so I took the low cost way out and put on stiffer (550#) front springs. Now with an adjustable bar front and rear the car is getting pretty close to neutral just needs some more tuning.

·
Charter Member
117 Posts
cobramd,
hour glass hour glass hour glass, that means I'm thinking, the rear end is a t-bird supercoupe, wanted the disk brakes, and a lower gear, cant remember 3.55 or 3.71 something like that. Anyway I got the ff lower control arms for the rear, and I used the what I call the sway bar from the mustang which ties the two lower bars together, hour glass, I guess I didnt put any more thought into it, thinking again. Im sitting here at work, I own a tanning salon, a non profit kind of thing, I dont make any money so its ok to do this at work, ha ha. I'm trying to view in my mind the geometry of the rear end, the bar isnt connected to the frame of the car, so in my mind it is not what I think of as a true sway bar. Im thinking it is better than no bar but i'm thinking not as good as it could be. I'm going home and lay under the car and think about it. I had a 71 formula firebird with rear sway bar, broke the bracket on one side and the car drove bad till I got it fixed, so I know the benifit of roll bars, have to have kind of thing, I dont respond to to many posts on the forum but this one has been to the point and informative thanks. Oh before the tanning salon I was a Tool and Die Maker for 25 year I have built a bunch of do dads for the car myself, again thank

·
Charter Member
117 Posts
cobramd
I crawled out from under the car and can see that the bar that is there might do some sway control. I jacked up the car by way of the frame and as it goes up the other side does raise a little which it should, but the body would still lift or sway. The cable does limit the travel but that is not what I'm looking for.

When you added the sway bar to the rear did you remove the stock mustang sway bar attached to the lower control arms or are you running independent rear sup?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm using a VPM sway bar for my rear as well it's attached at the rear of the axle and then to the frame.

The beauty of that bar is it's easily adjustable and made for the weight of the car. There are a lot of guys out there that have either used the stock mustang piece or made their own units.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Hmmm...

Those pics look familiar. ;)

Any of your front bar installed?

Thanks,

Sean

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sean
They actually are of my car. I was lucky enough to have the closest 3 link car to VPM when they were designing the first 3 link sway bar. I'm having issues with my camera for the front pics.

·
Charter Member
117 Posts
cobramd
Im looking at the pictures and have a few questions.

I see a bar running from the bottom of your coil overs, is that a improvment or somthing that goes with the coil over?

I also see a bracket with looks like 3 holes is that a factory five change since my car was delivered in 1999?

I dont see the horizonal shock that runs from the frame where the limit cable is to the end of the diff. does the modification you made elimate the need for the shock?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dan
All the parts that you're speaking of are the FFR 3 link package. It wasn't available when our cars were new. I added mine about 4-5 yrs ago.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Originally posted by cobramd:
Sean
They actually are of my car.
Doh!

Sorry CMD,

I just thought you were posting VPM's pics so I would stop buggin' you!

I wouldn't mind seeing pics of your front bar installed though once you get your camera sorted out.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Charter Member
117 Posts
cobramd

thanks for the follow up, I talked to Richard Oben last night for a couple hours and filled me in on the ff3 link, says its like night and day, when I can get to it I think it is one of the modifications I will make.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.