Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a mock-up on the vortech before I install the engine and then install it permanently. Problem is the pass. side FMS shorty header, that came on my donor engine, hits right on the vortech cast bracket by the smog pump mounting lug. I'm considering hacking it down on a bandsaw, but what if NH tells me I need the smog pump????? Using Breeze's kit to move the alt. to the drivers side, which works very well and looks clean.

·
mk 1.5 original
562 Posts
I cut the vortech bracket and relocated the air pump to the drivers side on top. my setup is a little different because it's a '95
-chris

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
Another possible solution is to cut the flange on the header, rotate it, then re-weld it. I ended up just cutting my bracket.

If you run 4-into-4's, there is no need to modify the bracket.

·
7,237 Posts
I have 4x4's on mine, so no issue. But, I helped a friend install a blower on his J-pipe car and we rotated the header flange like Steve mentioned. Pretty easy if you own or have access to a mig welder.

·
Charter Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I have a mig and could do that, just worried about changing angles in the pipes and then having it hit the body or something. I could always gently bend the J pipe to correct, after heating it with torches. I'll have to throw another eyeball on it and see if I can get away with modding the exhaust.....

·
Charter Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the bracket is getting cut! The spot on the header that would need to be cut is where it goes 4into1, I'll be begging for leaks if I cut into that. I looked at cutting the flange tack welds and turning it 180, but it still won't give enough cleanace that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts