Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share my Vortech install pictures and story. I have searched around the forum and I think I have enough information to be a success.

My plan is to:
  • Install a Vortech V3-SCi
  • Move the alternator to the drivers side
  • Remove EGR
  • Move vapor canister
  • Clean, prep, and paint my ugly explorer intake
  • Install 42lb injectors
  • Install 2002 Lightning Mass air
  • Make some sort of cold air intake
  • Generally clean up the look of the engine bay
  • Tune it all with my Tweecer R/T using BE, EA, and my Gateway.

Day one was mostly disassembly and starting the FAB of a drivers side alternator bracket.

Lessons learned.
  1. The open air filter in the engine bay was full of pebbles and stuff. Wow. Lots of stuff.
  2. Dirt collects underneath the EFI intake in a big way.
  3. Metal fabrication is slow for a begineer.

Before:

After Day 1:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I will very closely watch your installation set-up and pictures. This is on my to-do list.

Jacques

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Spend $100 on Breeze's alternator bracket. Locates the alternator to the driver's side. 10 minute install.

Greg

·
Charter Member
456 Posts
Hey Bob, maybe this will help. I did everything you said plus 250 in-tank pump/hotter plugs and pro dyno to tune it up a must if you don't want to detonate. I'm almost done with a Breeze power steering pump install under the Alt. More pics if you need. 10k and still strong.
Not trying to hi-jack just trying to help.
-Chris.

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
Make sure the pop-off valve is not too close to the header or it will melt. Please don't ask how I know.
Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alternator / power steeting pump

I see that you are running a power steering pump so you will need a bracket for the alt and P Steering.

McMahonRacing
FFCars Craftsman
Has a bracket that moves both to the the driver side.

thanks for starting this post. have been looking for information onthe super charge installation for many months. I need information on the placement of the air filter.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greg- I will look again at the Breeze bracket, but it seemed it would not work with my PS pump's current location.

Limey,
Thanks for the pictures. Is that a standard rotation water pump? With my CC rotation pump I am going to run an idler under the SC to get the belt wrap I need.

Jim,
Noted on the by-pass valve. The one I have is off a turbo VW and it is very plastic :)

More updates after a night in the shop. My ALT bracket is developing a life of it's own and it becoming way complicated to keep the ALT. off the PS pump, the hood, and the distributor.

Bobby

·
Charter Member
456 Posts
Bobby, yes its a standard rotation pump. With doing the power steering pump I felt it would ease the belt routing. I used the Breeze alt bracket and there power steering pump and bracket also. It does all fit for me and with Marks patience (Breeze) it was easy. Also to answer your earlier question I built a cage around my air filter (were its shown in the pic) then wrapped it with rubber (made it out of alum 1st but it was too close to body and I was afraid it would rub with vibration) it sounds funny but it works great. I then ran a 4" flex hose from rubber cage down to the oil cooler opening were I fabbed a box to ram the cold air to the air box, the car runs the same from start up to when the engine bay gets hot there is no change in how it runs even on a 100 degrees days. The dyno shop dictated the pipe length between the 90mm Lightning Mass air, they made a few different lengths because...... I just don't remember why but the shorter versions wouldn't tune right. You should have a beast when your done. I ended up putting solid mount on the motor and I have to run 315 drag radials to keep planted and boy does it plant!!!

My plugs are Autolite 764.

-Limey.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,533 Posts
Nothing says you have to run the alternator on the driver side. It looks like you have 4 into 4's so you wont have any interference with the alternator in the regular Vortech location down low. I am running mine this way and it works fine. I had to modify the tensioner bracket by milling a diagonal slot in it for adjustment and then running the FFR alternate drive pulley on it with a modified spacer. I have the same power steering bracket you have and it all works well. As for the air filter, I ran a 90* off the back of the blower into another 90* and then straight back towards the passenger seat. My filter sits on the top of the footbox. Good Luck sorting it out and be sure to upgrade your fuel pump/injectors/mass air and tune to support the extra HP. Below are a couple pics of two different cars I have done. HTH

Mike

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike,
I am running J-pipes. I will look at how close the pipes are to the altenator in the low location when the Vortech kit arrives.

Have you had any air temperature spikes with your air intake being inside the hood? I am worried that with the addition of the compressor heat to the engine compartment ambient temp they would push the intake air temp so high as to lead to detonation. Maybe that is just a internet urban legend running around the corral.net

I do have injectors, MAF, bigger pump, and I will tune with a Tweecer.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I am trying to get the install correct the first time, so that when I'm done I can get another 3 trouble free years before my next upgrade!

Todays progress was modest. I worked on the passenger side alternator bracket. It just needs some trimming and shaping of the bulk aluminum, some stainless bolts, and a final test fit. The alternator is a 130A 3G from a 1997 V6 mustang I ebayed years ago as a spare. It is smaller than the E350 Van 3G I have been running.

Bobby

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
On my Vortech V2 install I had to cut/grind/file the mounting bracket because of interference with the header/J pipe connection. My headers are MAC equal length. Just a 'heads up'.
Jim

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The modification of the bracket

My j-pipes do interfere with the aluminum Vortech mounting bracket. I spent a good bit of the day modifying the bracket and doing some sanding on the intake. The mounting boss weakened during the modification is the smog pump mount ( idler pulley in my case). Luckily the boss does not directly hold the supercharger head unit.

Tools used: Grinder, jig saw, grinder, die tool, GRINDER, GRINDER!

Before:

After J-pipe mod:

In car front:

In car rear:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,533 Posts
Been there done that on the mounting bracket!!! Yeah J-pipes require that mod. If only they had rotated the header flange 90* there wouldnt be any interference with the SC bracket. Looks like you have a great start on your driver side Alt mount. Lookin good, keep us posted and keep up the good work. I havent had any ill effects running 16lbs of boost in terms of air inlet temps. I am running a meth injection system, its a crude Anderson Mr Freeze which is totally mechanical but seems to work just fine. I dont think it gets hot enough underhood to cause detonation but I have never checked. I am thinking urban legend for sure.....

Mike

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Initial Fitment

It was a good Sunday of work.

The Alternator bracket is finished. If someone makes or designs a combo Alt. and PS pump bracket, buy it. I also tried the Alt. on the Vortech bracket and it is VERY low almost on the 4" tube at the bottom.

I started the sanding in the explorer intake. I intend to remove all the mold marks and pitting on the intake before painting. I could have finished today, but the rain caught me.

The V3-SCi is not available in a polished finish so I am going to paint the compressor side on the unit to match the intake. I saw a picture of one painted that way on the forum and was impressed. I am going to copy him!

Upon initial fitment the SC fit well. It will not need to be "clocked" to fit under the hood.

Bobby

Intake partly sanded. The pits in the casting as very prominent.

The finish on the SC is bumpy. I will have to at least scuff before applying paint.

Pulley alignment looks good and there is room all around the SC. The pulley on the SC is different in that it has not outside ridges to keep the belt on. I guess the 6 ribs just keep the belt running true.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,533 Posts
Here are a couple pics of my Exp intake.... I took off the boss on the front and the rib down the middle of the fins to clean it up, then went two tone!
MZ

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Great looking intake MZ, I hope mine turns out that nice.

Another couple of days in the shop and I have things moving along.

My 90mm lightning MAF arrived today. It is impressive to me. I ordered it with a filter and adapter because I could not pass up the deal on the set. The filter is BIG. I mean BIG. The end has an inverted filter made into it. There is a vane system to align the air inside the filter, at least that's what I believe it does.

I also finished sanding the alternator brackets and the EGR spacer.

Purchased the serpentine belt, it came out to be 64 inches and is a stocked part locally.

Some pictures:

I moved the idler from the smog pump position on left of this picture to the self adjusting idler postion on the vortech bracket. The shortened the belt runs and looks better IMHO.

The spacer I made on the lathe at work. Not bad for a management guy!

Left to right: Vortech supplied filter, FFR filter (23000 miles), the mammoth filter that came with the MAF.

The 90mm MAF looks big compared with my 75mm pro-flow

1 - 20 of 33 Posts