Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have classic gauges.

I drove my car for the first time with the gauges hooked up and my volt gauge reads 12v.Shouldnt this be higher? I have a 1G alt. external reg.How can I check to see if my alt. is chargeing?

TIA

Bart

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Don,its a 1G not a 1wire.

Didnt go up when rev to 2000rpm.

Did drop when the fan was turned on.

Thanks for the qiuck reply.

Bart

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
Have a volt meter? Check attery base voltage not running and running voltage off idle. Should be about 14.6V running -- up from base of about 12v. If not, something is wrong. If you have a Ford regulator, I have the diagnostic Shop Tips from Ford and can scan/e-mail the appropriate pages to you.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
I have the Classic Instrument gauges and the Volt meter is dead on. I would guess you are not charging.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Check to see if the alt gets hot when the motor is running. Mine did that when the volt meter dropped to 12ish. Could catch a fire.

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think I am chargeing. How do I check??

Soling my E mail is abramfam @ bluemarble.net

Thanks

Bart

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
As Naga mentioned.....turn the key on and observe what the voltmeter reads. Then turn on the car. The voltage should go up. If it does, you are charging. If not, you are not.

A few things to do to make the meter more accurate include running a separate ground wire from the meter back to the chassis or even all the way to the battery neg terminal. If you have a small ground wire and all the gauges run through it, you get a "common impedance" voltage drop. There is impedance (resistance) in any wire and the smaller the wire, the higher the impedance. Current times this impedance is voltage. That voltage is subtracted from the actual system voltage and that's what you see on the gauge. On the + side, be sure to run a single wire right to the ignition switch. Again, you don't want to share the circuit with anything else.

If you want to verify the accuracy of the meter, you can use a multi-meter and simply measure across the meter terminals. If the two match, they are both measuring correctly. You can then put the multi-meter on the battery to see what the difference in the wiring is.

Good luck.

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the effort Soling!!!

I have a buddy that says he can check it with a tool from his work.

I think have a bad alt.

Later

Bart

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
My guess is a mis-wired connection. Are you using the dash light? How is it and the regulator wired?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts