Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay! Congrats and hats off to the Capitol Area Cobra Club.

From the SEMA Action Network.
d

Commonwealth Adopts Common Sense Legislation for Replicas
Virginia Legislature Approves Pro-hobby Titling and Registration Bill

With the perseverance of the SAN, pro-hobbyist lawmakers and the automotive business community, a version of SEMA-model legislation to create a state registration and titling class for replica vehicles has been finally approved by the Virginia State Legislature. The measure must now be signed by the governor before being enacted into law. Under the bill, a replica is defined as a vehicle not fully constructed by a licensed manufacturer but either constructed or assembled from
components.

“Backed by the hard work and dedication of the Capitol Area Cobra Club, Virginia businessman Rick Pearce, Delegate Tom Rust, Senator Martin Williams and legislative staff, we are extremely gratified that Virginia will join the growing list of states that recognize replicas as distinct classes of vehicles,” said SEMA Vice President, Government Affairs Steve McDonald. “We are especially indebted to these individuals for their continued efforts in coordinating the support of enthusiasts, lawmakers and state and local vehicle administrators.”

The measure allows these vehicles to be titled under the model year of which the vehicle is a replica and only requires that they meet safety and emissions requirements as established for that model year. As a condition of the
hobby-friendly emissions system and safety equipment requirements, replica vehicles titled under this legislation would be limited to no more than 5,000 miles per year as shown by the vehicle’s odometer.

“As a car enthusiast myself, I’m happy to have helped the replica owners, especially in my case the members of the Capitol Area Cobra Club, in getting legislation drafted and through the legislative process in Virginia,” said Delegate Tom Rust.

In April 2005, replica owners in Virginia received letters from the Department of Motor Vehicles stating that their vehicles may have been titled and registered incorrectly. Individuals were asked to return their title and license plates, pay a $25 fee, have the car inspected by a special DMV agent and then have the vehicle re-registered and titled based on the year of assembly. Under this requirement, vehicles would be subject to current emissions and equipment standards. When signed into law, this bill will allow Virginia replica vehicle owners to avail themselves of a unique titling class which provides that replica vehicles may be legally titled and registered based on the model year the vehicle most closely resembles.

“It was gratifying to see this bill pass the Virginia Legislature,” said Capital Area Cobra Club member Scott Harrison. “Prior to this bill, the members of our club living in Virginia had no definitive way to register their replica vehicle. Our club has over 300 members with the majority living in Northern Virginia and members had their cars registered in various ways based on the inconsistent information provided to them at their local DMV.”

The model bill will continue to be pursued by SEMA in states that either don’t have registration classifications for these vehicles or have laws that are lacking in some way. Efforts are ongoing this year to work with the state legislature in Arkansas, Florida, New York, Massachusetts, and Wyoming on this initiative. If successful, these states will join Colorado, Illinois, Maine, Missouri, Montana, and Rhode Island in recognizing the unique nature of these cars.

For more information, or to download a copy of the SEMA-model bill visit www.semasan.com.

Editors Note: The SAN would also like to recognize House Transportation Committee Assistant Jack Hilgers and Nancy Palmer of Delegate Rust’s staff for their dedicated efforts in navigating this bill through the legislative process. Their continued support for the hobby in Virginia is greatly appreciated.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Very good news indeed. Thanks Scott (The Elder).

·
Senior Charter Member
3,086 Posts
Great job CACC!

Okay how about NC. We must register completion year, but you can't get specialty insurance unless it is 25 years old. You end begging for a policy or using split policies.

I would never suspect outside influence has created this situation. Not that our former speaker will be heading to jail or anything.

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Amazing, a new law that makes perfect sense ! Nice work.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
The new legislation represents about 2 years worth of hard work by a few very ambitious guys in CACC. I guess we can't really celebrate too vigorously until the governor signs it, but since it's already been through the house and senate, it looks pretty encouraging.

Special thanks to Ed Digges, Scott Harrison, Kevin Moses, Delegate Rust, and Steve McDonald. You guys rock!

·
65 FANGS
522 Posts
thank you to all involved.
thanks,
bob

·
Charter Member
57 Posts
We needed this last year when we finished ours. Thought I would get sent out of the DMV.

Thanks for all the hard work.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
NAGA,

Great news!

I just followed the link and sent a note to Governor Kaine. Is there anything else I can do to help?

Ralph Courage
MKIII builder
Virginia Beach, VA

·
1,073 Posts
Thanks very much guys for all your hard work on this!

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
715 Posts
It's awesome that these guys were able to shepherd this through the process. I know there are tons of issues that get considered by the elected and for one that will yield relatively few constituents, this is truly amazing.

I knew that there was a reason it has taken 3 years to build my car! ;)

·
1,073 Posts
Just sent a message to the Governor. I urge everyone to do the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts