Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have a nice, clean video of the 427 in an MK? I have looked all through YouTube for something clear, but of the few you find they all seem to be of lower quality. I understand its a "mic", but I have heard a few smaller engines that sounded fantastic on YouTube.

Merely trying to gauge what the engine would sound like to plan around it accordingly. I purchased the BluePrint 427 EFI, and would love to hear it or something similar. :nerd:

factoryfiveengines.com/blueprint-engines-factory-five-engines/blueprint-engines-mk4-roadster-engines/ford-427-fuel-injected-mk4

Might be a longshot but I thought I would ask. Just trying to see if its going to have a slightly aggressive idle or not, without effecting its performance based on the cams it came with. I am hoping the cams it came with have that "lope" I am looking for, just not to large.

Thanks to anyone that can assist. Phone videos are welcome to! :wink2: :grin2:

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
The cam and compression ratio have much more influence on the sound than the cubic inches. Here's my 351 with a really big (too big actually) cam:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understood. I've seen a few 427's in various videos, and they sounded (oddly enough) rather muted, which is what I did not want.

The Cam specs that are coming with the engine are:

Roller cam
.608 intake .608 exhaust
248 intake / 258 exhaust @ .050
114 degree lobe separation

This has been the one issue I am dealing with since ordering it, was to leave it as is, or switch it to a slightly more aggressive cam (slight up-charge). So far, I simply cant find any good examples to help validate that choice. But agreed, I certainly do not want it to wild, but enough to CLEARLY hear it.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Comp Cams XR282RF-HR 414W Idle

Camshaft Part # 12-432-8 Grind # XR282HR-8
Duration @ 0.006": 282° / 288° Duration @ 0.050": 230° / 236°
Max Lift w/ 1.6RR: .513" / .529" Lobe Separation: 110°

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
That is a pretty aggressive cam. I'd be curious to see what the street manners are with that cam.
Keep in mind your exhaust set up will have something to do with how your engine sounds also, especially once the mufflers burn out- which is usually pretty quickly.

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
That mill should sound pretty incredible. With the overlap specs, the hp levels are a bit lower than I would have expected, but it should also contribute to better street manners for a cam that size- and plenty of hp to enjoy your ride every minute.

Looking forward to see how this build comes along. Pictures will be required.... ;)

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the hp levels are a bit lower than I would have expected...

Bob
I have stated the same thing on several occasions. The warranty is good, the parts which I checked on were Comp, Scat, Dart, etc. Mostly name brands with the exception of the heads, however... I did confirm the heads come from the same master ingot distributor that AFR uses, so that was interesting. (I used to import a LOT of ingots, aluminum, etc).

But I think you hit the nail on the head with the lower power rating, it just seems a lot lower than other offerings I viewed.

After all that, I did that self check and asked myself is it the speed I am after, or the sound/immersion experience of a 427 chopping and mouthing off in its lope. I knew it was the immersion experience so I opted for the BluePrint 351w/427.

Still, at its present power to weight ratio, 485 horses in that chassis is PLENTY fast for now.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I have stated the same thing on several occasions. The warranty is good, the parts which I checked on were Comp, Scat, Dart, etc. Mostly name brands with the exception of the heads, however... I did confirm the heads come from the same master ingot distributor that AFR uses, so that was interesting. (I used to import a LOT of ingots, aluminum, etc).

But I think you hit the nail on the head with the lower power rating, it just seems a lot lower than other offerings I viewed.

After all that, I did that self check and asked myself is it the speed I am after, or the sound/immersion experience of a 427 chopping and mouthing off in its lope. I knew it was the immersion experience so I opted for the BluePrint 351w/427.

Still, at its present power to weight ratio, 485 horses in that chassis is PLENTY fast for now.
If you've never driven one of these cars, you'll soon find out that yes, that is plenty of hp in a 2200 lb car. Hold on tight and keep your focus, but enjoy the ride....

As for hp ratings, I'm not familiar with those heads. I wonder what it would take to find the flow specs for those heads. Blueprint Performance almost sounds like an offshore product- something like ProComp out of Australia and other knock-0ffs. Everything else in the package seems like good parts, including the Dart block to start off with.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you've never driven one of these cars, you'll soon find out that yes, that is plenty of hp in a 2200 lb car. Hold on tight and keep your focus, but enjoy the ride....

As for hp ratings, I'm not familiar with those heads. I wonder what it would take to find the flow specs for those heads. Blueprint Performance almost sounds like an offshore product- something like ProComp out of Australia and other knock-0ffs. Everything else in the package seems like good parts, including the Dart block to start off with.
I did get to ride in one 2 weeks ago, fantastic ride. The heads are in fact overseas, but according to them (Andrew at Blueprint) they are machined here in the states. The raw heads (to the extent is unknown) are imported in. Perhaps to the point of where the fine CNC work becomes a diminishing return on their level of profitability, again, its unknown. But you are correct the heads do in fact come from the same facility that many other industry leaders have their heads processed (much to my surprise).

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
No knock on offshore products except for the fact it is difficult at times to get third party testing specs on them. Flow charts would be interesting to access to see if they are up to the flow numbers of say, the ARP 185's or Vic Jrs. , just as a baseline.
Of course, a little port polishing can take care of most of that in any case.

Good luck with the project.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts