Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to decide if I want to go to better heads before assembling my engine- budget will be the final arbiter.
I can probably live with my worked over GT40P heads for now, but I know I'll be wanting to upgrade soon.
How do the Vic. Junior heads compare? I've seen a number of them that I could probably fit into my budget once I sell my GT40P's, but I don't know enough about the different heads to know if this is the best step up for the money?

Somebody posted a link to a flow chart recently and I can't find the thread. Would somebody have the link or thread handy so I could check it out and possibly print it out?

Thanks, Bob

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
I'd like to see the flow-chart, too.
I'm trying to plan a budget build and could use some guidance like that.
Thanks,

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
Bob,

Putting Vic jr heads on a 393 stroker will make a drastic difference. The P heads, which are pretty good, are going to restrict the motor alot.. Mine went from 273rwhp to 475rwhp with basically a head change and a cam change, using the heads that you purchased from me.

The Vic jr's have a 2.05 intake valve matched to a 210cc runner, along with a 1.60 exhaust valve/75cc runner. You have to let the motor breath right to work right. Book flow numbers are 291/195 cfm at 0.600 lift

Another thing...If you make the motor too strong, the T-5 wont be long for this world.

Hope this helps,
Scott

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott,

Thanks, I'm at that stage where I'm wondering- "yeah, but what if?". The extra horsepower sounds like it will be a necessity in a year or less, so why not do it now? Budget, that's why. ;)

I have the GT40P's I got from you about as good as they're going to get. I ported and polished them and gasket matched them. Then, when the block was in for machining I had them decked and the valves seated properly (from where I got a little careless with the porting tools). Even added .550 lift springs and bought a set of roller rockers.

Guess I need to test the market on the GT40P's as I have found a couple sets of Vic Jrs. for around $800. Guess I have to have "the talk" with SWMBO and see how long I'll be in the doghouse?

BTW, which cam are you using? My plan is to go with a roller hydraulic, but the Tie bar lifters I will need to use add another $450 to the mix. Ah well, it's only money and staying married is probably over rated, right? (geez, I hope she isn't reading this over my shoulder)- Bob

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
Bob,

Hydraulic flat tappet custom made from Comp Cams .532in lift, .545ex lift, durations are 234in and 246ex at .050. Lobe seperation 112 degrees. This cam has a real lumpy idle, even at 950rpm's, but I like it.
PM me if you want the custom grind #

Vic jr's for $800 is a pretty good price, are they new?

BTW, I couldn't tell you about the married bit at this moment(did it once for 15 years), but I'm working on it again ;)

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
I have a set of Edelbrock 60379 for a great deal, less than mail order. Call me if you are interested in heads in the box new. I also have 60069 heads for a FE engine.
Mike Forte

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you find Victor Jr's for $800.00, buy them quick! (If that's new that is)
I paid $1000.00 for mine, un-used second hand and looked quite a while before I found those.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, tightwad that I am, I'm looking at used heads. New just isn't in the budget at the moment. Heck, USED isn't even in the budget at the moment- but I'm always looking. ;)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How are the Performer RPM heads? Are they close to the performance/flow of the Vic. Jr. heads or do they run out of poop around 6K RPM?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Vic Jr are great heads for the money and would work very well on your stroker.

They flow more air than the Performer RPM and have larger port volumes. I'd say the Performer RPM would probably work, but the Vic Jr would be a better match for your displacement and make more power.

You might look here for a good used set - National Mustang Racers Association.

http://www.nmraracing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know anything about the ProComp heads I've been seeing on Ebay for really low prices? The flow numbers are very nice and everything else (in the pics at least)looks good.

I've heard good and bad about the Aussie stuff, but can't tell if it is factual or actual?

Thanks, Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
1,314 Posts
John Hines here, signing in on Dago's login:

I own a set of these heads (ProComp). Have had them on the car for about seven months now. They added alot of power and torque. Here are some things to remember. You can not use 1.6:1 rockers. I had to go to 1.7:1 rockers.The 1.6:1 rockers will rub on the heads. You will also need adjustable guideplates as the rockers will not be centered on the valve tips. I spent about 30 minutes grinding the flashing in the runners. The valves fit very well and did not need any machining. Everthing else looked real good. hope that helps.

[ September 08, 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Dago ]

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
Bob,

A "wise" man once told me to "build it the way you want it, or you'll never be happy with it." Thanks Wurf! I originally built FFR3489 with a 351w and an auto trans. Then there were the constant upgrades to the car the next two years. If I would have built it the way that I would have wanted it the first time, I could have probably saved myself a few thousand bucks. In my opnion, do it right the first time so you'll be happier with it.

If you sell the p heads to purchase the Vic jr's, you will be doing a huge upgrade to the motor. As I said before, you need to let that stroker breathe right to work right. You should be able to offset alot of the cost of the aluminum heads this way.

Scott

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scott,
My thoughts exactly. Since the heads are in their best condition at the moment, it is probably the right time to put them up for sale to help me budget for the bigger heads. Of course, this also means I'll need to move the TFS Stage 1 cam I was going to use and go to a larger cam.
Wonder what else I'll need to sell/buy before this is all done? ;) - Bob

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
Remember, those heads only had about 6000 miles on them before you ported them

·
Banned
115 Posts
I think it was Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine that flow tested all Ford and aftermarket heads over the last few years. You may be able to find reprints or back issues. After they did all the flow work they built and dyno tested different size engines and compared all the heads for power, torque, etc.

As I recall the AFR flowed the most cfm with the smallest relative port volumes giving the best horsepower and best overall curve.

John

·
Senior Charter Member
4,270 Posts
John Hines (Dago)
Just for clarity's sake. Were you talking about Vic Jr's, or the ProComps? How were the 1.6 rockers rubbing?

I've been eyeballing these (ProComp, topline, superflowheads) for awhile now, and this is the first real feedback I've seen.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is a long thread on www.corral.net about the ProComp heads under 5.0/5.8 Tech discussions. It looks like the ProComps are the ones that the pushrod can rub if not machined to eliminate the problem. One of the vendors that supplies these heads routinely now supplies them with the machining done.

From what I've read on the thread (8 pages long, bring a sandwich), it seems like the heads seem pretty good but aren't exactly a bolt on project. Looks like a pretty good set of heads for a little over half of what the Vic. Jrs. cost. -Bob

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Those Procomp are similar to my heads, Protopline. Both are Aussie heads. The issue is with the intake valve centerline ( at least with mine ). It's .050 narrower than stock Ford, which improves flow. I needed to push the guideplates over to one side as far as possible for proper rocker arm alignment on the valve stem. Otherwise the heads flow great and are a relatively good deal.

Vic Jr use 1.6 or 1.7 however you need to pay attention to the rocker arm you select. Some valve spring combinations used on the Vic Jr are larger dia and may contact the rocker arm body. There are specific rocker arms made for Vic Jr to provide clearance on the rocker arm. You may or many not need them depending on your spring package.

I used 1.6 Comp ProMagnum stainless rockers on my Protoplines.

Oh...and if you want the issue with the article from MM&FF that tests the larger heads on the 392 stroker, I have the issue and will scan for you if you want.

Feel free to let me know

Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts