Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get the spindle adapters on my powder coated Fox spindles today. I have seen the threads about a tight fit but these just seem too tight. I've spread the adapters quite a bit already but much more and I think things will start cracking. I don't think the powder coat is the culprit as some of that was scraped off trying to coax the adapter onto the spindle with the orange massage device as pictured.

Are there different adapter widths? I know the adapter has the four holes for fox or later spindles. It looks like there are actually two different doublers on each side of the adapters if that makes a difference. Any advice?

Its hard to tell from the pictures but the Fox holes aren't even close.

[ March 16, 2007, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: gdflys ]

·
Junior Charter Member
874 Posts
I did some modification with my grinder to make the adapters fit and the holes line up. I'm sure others will comment.

·
Junior Charter Member
874 Posts
the spindle

I should have taken a picture of the spindle before I put it together

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
the adapters are supposed to be tight fit. you powder coated the spindles, and that probably put at least .020 or more on each side of the mating surface, for a total of .040 interference. Grind the powder coat off the spindle where it mates with the adapter, and see how that works. My spindles were bare, except for paint, and it took several blows with a large hammer to get the adapters on.

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,783 Posts
get a piece of 3/8 threaded rod a couple of 3/8 body washers and a couple of 3/8 nuts and make a spreader, you turn the nuts outward and it will spread the ffr ifs adapter enough to slip it on the spindle.

·
Junior Charter Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can spread them ok with pry bars or whatever but I'm just concerned with how far I'm actually having to spread them. I guess I'll grind the spindles back down to metal and maye more to get a little better fit. It just seems weird that all of these are sooo tight. Are the 95+ spindles any thinner in this area?

·
Feng Shui Master
1,224 Posts
Only speaking from MK2 with SN94 spindles, but those look like they are deformed when put on the spindle. Me thinks the interference fit is too tight. I do not have access to measure the spindle untill Saturday. Maybe some one else is more able to supply real number instead of my guesses.

·
Living Large
1,871 Posts
Mine were tight too. I ground off all the paint, put the spindles in the freezer and then used a BFH to put them on.

Trent

·
Junior Charter Member
132 Posts
they look too yight to me mine were tight but should fit without that much modification

Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could understand one of them being off due to a bad weld or something but they both are very close to the same interference fit. I think with a little bending of the adapters and a little grinding off both sides of the spindle it should work.

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
I had to bend mine out a little. I figure they warped when welded. Mine bent easily. I stuck them in a vise, and pried with a bar. Good luck.
Don't worry, the huge bolts that hold these on will not let them go anywhere if tightened properly.

Just bend them enough to fit them over the spindles. You don't want to crack them.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Doesn't the manual say that the spacers have to removed in certain applications by grinding the spot welds off?

I can't remember for sure, but I think I read it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
I also remember seeing something that said 4 cylinder fox spindles are different that 8 cylinder ones.

Do you know what your spindles came off of?

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
AR-cobra,

If they were four-cylinder spindles, you would have to remove the shims on one side if the spindle bracket to get the bracket on the spindle.

·
Junior Charter Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well they came off a 90 GT but who knows they could have been 4 cyl spindles after all it's 17 years old. Does anyone have any measurements of 8 cyl versus 4 cyl for the width of the spindles in the area that goes between the adapter? Or just a measurement of the 8 cyl one would suffice so I could check mine.

·
Junior Charter Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm was digging deeper in the back of the manual for differences and it say that 1983.5-1986 spindles are similar to the 1987 to 1993 spindle except they are thicker and are designed for a smaller 10" rotor. To use them one of the shims tack welded into the standard IFS bracket needs to be removed. Like AR-cobra said. It seems I may have had the earlier spindles on my 90 GT donor. I'd still like to get a measurement to be sure if someone could get one off their spindle I'd appreciate it. Rather than grind the spindles I'd rather get the right ones. BTW thanks again for the help.

·
Junior Charter Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I'm not talking to myself even though it looks like it. :D Anyway I pretty much confirmed this is an older spindle. I have rebuilt 90 GT calipers that I have powder coated as well as new hub/rotors. I returned the old stuff for cores without more carefully checking them while in the store duh. Anyway this is what the 90 caliper looks like on this "90" spindle

As you can see it looks like the spindle is the older version for the 10" rotor instead of the 11" on the 90's. I have another set of spindles in storage at my brothers so hopefully they are the right ones. Thanks for the help and advise. Anyone want to buy a set of freshly powder coated 83.5-86 spindles?

·
1,752 Posts
Greg,

I have a set of stock spindles from a '90 GT and a set of from a '96 if the ones you have don't work. Let me know if you need them. The '96 have been sand blasted and painted. I was going to use them but went with SN95 instead.

Rich

1 - 20 of 21 Posts