Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
Cool chart but I'm not sure I buy the information. According to the chart, if my oil is 215 degrees F my engine will last about 30,000 miles yet everything I've read says a good oil temp is just over the boiling point of water. This insures that all condensation is boiled out. At steady state 70 mph cruising on the interstate my oil temp gages reads 115 to 120 degrees F. I've got about 13,000 miles on the FFR with a new/rebuild block. Does this mean I'm only good for another 15,000 to 17,000 miles? I'll bet one of Earl's beers that my block will last a whole lot longer than that.

Rick

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rick, I thought the charts were on the conservative side myself. I just thought it was neat info as far as the bearing temp vs. oil temp.

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
I've looked at these charts before, and the numbers were supported by other research. The actual mileage guesstimates are a little conservative, but not by much. Take note that there is a big differance between pan and bearing temps. And synthetic oils will dramatically raise those safe temp ranges.

The oil does not have to be above the boiling point of water for the water to be removed. All hot water eventually evaporates.

Based on this data (and others) I placed my temp sender in the hole where Ford put the pressure sender. It's as close to bearing temp as I could get without major mods to the block. After break in, I'll be using synthetic oils. I'll keep the temps below 250*.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
Guys,
According to this I should put in a 180 thermo instead of my 160. I like the way it runs now and besides I'll be very lucky if my car ever sees 90,000 miles. I liked the info though. I found out that its' alright to run lower temps. Mine stays at 175 most of the time.
Thanks,
Ron FFR1738

1 - 6 of 6 Posts