Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a diff for my IRS.

I want it to be aluminum.

And I want it to be 3.27 gear ratio, and I want it to be LSD.

The only one I can get is the Lincoln Mark III correct?

Thanks.

·
Really Senior Member
540 Posts
cj, I think you met MK VIII, and as far as that goes, you may have a hard time finding one that has 3.27 gears and a TractionLok. Not many factory Lincolns came that way. You'll have more success with the T-bird pumpkin with that combination, but then you have an iron case. If you find a Lincoln pumpkin, you'll probably have to buy gears and a TractionLok, and put it together. I'm not saying they don't exist in the boneyards, just that it will be difficult to find one to your liking. You may just want to opt for the FMS aluminum pumpkin, but that's up to you. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
it was my impression that there werent any 3.27 LSD equipped aluminum pumpkin diffs. if there are i suspect they are rare. i rolled my own using the aluminum casing from a MK VIII, with 3.27 gears from my t-bird diff, and a torsen T2 for the limited slip.

iron pumpkin: 83 lbs, aluminum 57 lbs. add the weight of the torsen or trak-loc to the 57 lbs weight.

james

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
CJ,

The 99 Mustang had 3:27 and an Aluminum Diff. with 28 splines, the one year that would work.

Hank

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
As Hankl said, you want one from a 99 Mustang, but it has to be a Mustang Cobra.

Thats what I have, 3,27s, aluminum and LSD. You can sometimes find them on ebay.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts
Here is a brand new one from FORD for $700.00

In the tech notes it says...
• Fits (1) 1999 Cobra, 1989-97 Thunderbird, 1989-96 Cougar, 1993-98 Mark VIII

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The yard I was dealing with says none of the T-Birds came with trac loc.. is that true?

I could probably get a MK 8 pumpkin and put the gears in it, but I want to limit how much stuff I have to get to go together. if I have to buy the trac loc seperately then its more of a pain..

·
8,272 Posts
Most, if not all, Super Coupes and Cougar XR7's had 8.8 center sections with traction loc. Stick cars had 2.73 gears and automatics had 3.27's. There are probably some exceptions to this, but in general the above is true.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cj,

For an iron 3.27 from a T-bird SC the tag will look like the picture below. The first four characters will be 3L27 which means that the L is for locking diff.

~Steve

[ June 06, 2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Steve W. ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.