Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost 400 trouble free miles on the car now and it's all been within 15-20 miles of home. How many miles did you have on your car before you felt comfortable about longer trips. Every time I drive it I feel like I'm just waiting for something to go wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Some Cobra buddies and I , have been discussing just that....When one of them bought his car (he did not build it), It had only 1700 miles on it...
He decided to go for a ride in the mountains...Fortunately , I drove my car behind him....He got a few miles up the mountain , before a faulty mechanical fuel pump quit.....Luckily , we were along , as cell phones don't work there...We went home ,and called a wrecker.
I recently had a wiring problem with my fuel pump (at DVSF) , and if other Cobras had not been traveling with me , I would be in the soup....It will be a while before I feel comfortable driving any distance solo...The moral of all this , is bring a Cobra buddy along just in case....These cars are great , but stuff happens.

·
6,654 Posts
I'm just easing up to longer drives also. I was like you with 20-30 miles around the area and now I've worked up to 2-300 round trips.

One thing I think is a must is AAAplus. If you can get to a phone or have cell coverage, they will come pick you up with a flatbed if you request it. And tow you anywhere you want up to 100 miles for free.

R :D

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I have had new trucks leave me stranded before too. Anytime you talk about mechanical transportation you have to remember things can break at any moment!

If you feel confident in your abilities as a mechanic then it will probably be fine. (maybe
) :D

Dan

·
4,494 Posts
You will get over the worry. If you have 400 miles on it, and had it running for at least one continuous hour, you probably have the bugs out. I drove mine to Las Vegas, 300 miles when I had 200 miles on mine.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I think that if you are careful when you put it together you should not have to worry...If the thing goes 500 miles it will probably keep on going. I think the key is to be very picky when you do your build.

If you have a lot of hot options on it this may not be true, and you might need a buddy.

Mine is a straight 302 with very minor mods and I plan to drive it all over the place.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Short trips for 130 Miles, 1 150 mile day and then a 1000 mile weekend when I first got on the road last year

Lots of company on the trip from Maryland to Ohio last June (missed this year trying to get it painted), but only a couple of minor issues considering a 186K mile donor build

Just remember ...

You always made it back before,
and if life is not an adventure what is it?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Don't worry, be happy.

I've had mine on the road for 6 years and stuff still can happen. Heck...2 weeks ago, I parked at a Subaru dealer and the lower radiator hose coupler between hoses went loose and puked all the coolant out. I still say that it got sick looking at the new B9 tribeca.

·
3,211 Posts
Confidence builds as the miles pile up and nothing disastrous happens. I'm close to 400 miles now and getting to that point where I'll just jump in the car and go. Cell phone and the AAA+ card are never far away though.

Jack - Gotta agree on the B9. Was actually thinking of trading in my TrailBlazer until I saw just how ugly they were this weekend.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I gotto agree with that feeling, I did ever increasing circles with mine. I made up an emergency kit including fire extinguisher, jack, wrenches, nuts/bolts, duct tape and plenty of zip ties

didn't need them but it made me feel better having them.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An emergency tool kit is definitely in the works. It that fails, it's AAA.

I've not seen the B9 yet but Subaru has always been a little different. Not necessarily bad, just different.

·
5,206 Posts
VPR-KLR's drive to Knotts a few years ago was 4 days after he completed the car.

My first trip of any distance, PHX to LA and back, was 2 months after I finished the car.

Mike

·
6,305 Posts
I don't think there is a set number of miles or an amount of time that you can go by. Every car is differrent, but by 400 miles I would think that most of the new car bugs would have crawled out into the open. I think the unknown factor in this is if you did a donor build, you may also encounter old part death at any time, unlike a no donor build where everything starts off from zero. Initially I had an intermittent stalling problem that kept me puckered up and close to home for the first couple hundred miles, but that was it. Once I figured that out though, I felt very confident. You'll just sort of know.
Frank

·
FFCobra Fanatic
774 Posts
First ride was 30 miles, took the long road to get gas. Second ride was 60 miles, even longer road to gas station. Third ride I drove to Worcester for the Summer nationals, about 70 miles one way, came home at night which was first night drive. Remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained......I built it to drive it, not dream about driving it...
Sean

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Just as I finished my Ferrari California repro, I moved from PA to CT and drove the car 250 miles. Everything wroked well, except my ride height! Comiong off the Tappan Zee Bridge, we bottomed out and knocked a hole in the oil pan. Sometimes it is not the mechanical components as much as the set up. Fortunately, we noticed the oil gauge fluctuating and stopped in time.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I registered my car on June 17th. Put a little over 8 miles on it that day. Got up the next day and drove almost 300 miles round trip from my house to the open house. No problems.

The next day, water pump let go less than 10 miles from the house. Oh well, things happen.

As someone said, if you paid attention when you built it, you'll be ok.

Russ

Russ

1 - 20 of 27 Posts